Subbed or Dubbed: The Animation Debate

Subbed VS Dubbed: Animation Lost In Translation

Watching films and shows from other countries is always fun, but should they be appreciated dubbed into English or with subtitles?

11

The world of animation in America has made amazing leaps and bounds. Movies and shows have come and gone, each getting better and better in terms of quality and skills as the years have progressed. Home to companies like Disney, animation has a stronghold in this country and its history should be respected and remembered as time goes by and passes. However, despite America being a powerhouse when it comes to animation, it is obviously not the only country in our vast world with animated shows and movies with high amounts of work, effort, and prestige. Animation, like other art, is carried around the globe. We don't always understand the words and phrases found within each animation, but they all seem to speak the same language of love, time, effort, and beauty.

Despite this understanding on an artistic level, the ability to understand the audio words paired with the visuals is an important aspect of animation comprehension and enjoyment. Just as there language barriers in day to day life, there are animation language barriers found as well. We all want to enjoy watching shows and movies from other countries that speak languages other than English, but that difference in language seems to prevent full enjoyment or understanding. What solution is there to be had in the face of this linguistic dilemma?

For many shows and movies, there are two obvious and similar approaches: subbing vs dubbing. When we sub or add subtitles to a show or movie, we are simply placing the English dialogue or translation as words on the bottom of the screen. On the other hand, dubbing is a complete reworking of the dialogue audio as English speaking actors and actresses come in to speak the translation over the animation itself. Both of these techniques can be seen in countless movies, animes, and shows, but the question now has been raised: Is it better to sub or dub?

On one hand, subbing gives viewers a unique experience that dubbing would completely take away: the ability to hear the original audio and the unaltered language. For some, listening to the original language is an experience like no other; you get to hear how words and sentences are formed and sounded out as the show goes on. In fact, it can be a learning experience in its entirety. I know several people who have learned bits and pieces of Japanese by just watching the subbed versions of anime. After all, one of the better ways to learn a language is to submerge oneself fully in the language. Though the viewer would not really be talking back to anyone in this scenario, there is still something to be said about hearing and reading the language at the same time. Plus, there just seems to be a type of originality and untainted aspect to the subbed version of the movie or show; there is a type of unity that exists in watching the original version, maybe because that is the version that was made to be seen on the big screen. However, I can definitely see where some would shy away from the subbed versions. Doing two highly focused activities at the same time can be completely and utterly exhausting. Plus, it is often frustrating trying to catch every detail on the screen while also reading the dialogue. There are definitely pros and cons to this version of the viewing experience.

Thus we come to the dubbed version of shows and movies. The advantage to this version is completely obvious: the dubbed versions, in general, are just easier to watch. It is now all too easy to fully understand what exactly is going on because every word has been tailored to an English watching experience. From there, people can have a better connection to the characters and the plot line because there is now a feeling of comradery between audience members and the finished product. Despite this connection, there are some disadvantages that the dubbed version has to deal with constantly. Something that is hard to dub over or change is the aspect of timing found within the animation. After all, the animation was created for a certain language and visuals in mind. The dubbing actors often have a hard time fully matching that same pace without seeming too cluttered, fast, or slow. Thus, the whole animation can be thrown off kilter. Plus, there is a type of product quality created by dubs that simply cannot be fully ignored: these products feel more manufactured because there is the aspect of change and alteration always associated with them.

Subbed products and dubbed products both have their ups and downs, but ultimately it is amazing that we get to experience animation from different countries. Instead of being separated by country borders and language barriers, we can be united under a new and beautiful type of masterpiece.