7 Small Touches To Make Your Outfit Look More Put-Together

7 Small Touches To Make Your Outfit Look A Little More Put-Together

That last little bit of effort can go a long way.

51

We all do it. We re-wear the same outfits over and over again because we love the way we look in them; but doesn't it get old? There are so many easy ways to re-vamp your style and make your look more polished and put-together without over-thinking it. Check out the following 7 tips to pull an outfit together.

1. Wear An Accessory

Joel Valve on Unsplash

Having the perfect accessory is the key to coordinating a successful outfit. Something as simple as a chic pair of sunglasses can add personality and spice to a plain look. If you're feeling adventurous, reach for the printed belts, shoes, and bold jewelry. To accentuate an already bold look, a solid or neutral color hat, scarf or handbag can do the trick.

2. Cuff Your Pants

Scott Webb on Unspalsh

Cuffing your pants can look especially polished with ankle-length shoes such as booties, cute high-top sneakers, or sandals with an ankle strap. For skinny and straight leg jeans, this works especially well to keep the shape of the pant while changing just one small aspect of the outfit. Roll 1-2 inch folds once or twice to maximize the effect.

3. Match Your Tones

Heather Ford on Unsplash

You don't have to coordinate all the colors in your outfit to make it match. Instead, just consider the undertones. The most basic forms of undertones are cool and warm: cool being colors with a blue-ish, white, true icy tint and warm colors being more pink or red, with yellow tints. The photo above uses a neutral cool-tone to match colors. This can be especially difficult with denim, but to make it easier, usually lighter denim is cool-toned and darker and medium washes work well with warm tones.

4. Pull Your Hair Back

Dan Gold on Unsplash

If you don't have the time to do your hair with a hot tool such as a flat iron or curling iron, simply pulling your hair out of your face can go a long way. If you have long, straight hair, consider a sleek pony-tail with a head-scarf or tie. If your hair is shorter or wavier, french braids and other types of braids can pull your outfit together. Of course, you can also use a stylish hat to pull together a look, but be wary of over-accessorizing.

5. Be Minimal With Jewelry

Shannon Litt on Unsplash

The best way to approach accessories is to consider what you would like to be the focus of your outfit. If you have a statement accessory, it's a good idea to keep your outfit pretty neutral. If you have a statement piece of clothing, go for more minimal jewelry such as a simple necklace or a pair of stud earrings. Too many accessories can be distracting or become uncomfortable. Plus, you'll want people to notice you for who you are, not how expensive or ornate your jewelry is.

6. Layer Up

Danny G on Unsplash

Layers are another way to make your outfit seem more thoughtful than it actually is while still providing a function to your look. In cooler weather, the easiest solution is a jacket, scarf, or pashmina. But in spring and fall, denim or plaid shirts can double as an extra layer to cover up from the cold, or on warmer days, they can accentuate your waist by tying them across like a belt.

7. French-Tuck Your Shirt

Photo by Merrick White on Babble

A french-tuck is the art of tucking in your shirt only in the front, but leaving the sides and back un-tucked. This way, you look put-together but still casual while accentuating your waist. It can add a lot of shape to a boxy outfit and can be especially useful if you don't have a belt, as it adds an extra layer of style to your hip area. It works best with shirts that are oversized in nature, or on the looser end.