stunning flowers
Nature Animals

Stunning Flowers That Are Easily Overlooked

Just because they are small does not mean they are any less beautiful or important.

76
Tiny Violet Flower
Corrinne Brubaker

Daffodil's, tulips, roses, we all recognize these flowers immediately. We "ooh" and "ah" at their vibrant colors and unique shapes. We purchase them at stores and paint pictures of them, but what about the tiny flowers that most of us don't notice, the ones hiding in the grass. Did you know that just as many popular flowers there are, there are as many, if not many more, little ones you didn't even know about? I'm still discovering new ones. Look close in the grass or the leaves and bushes you quickly walk past, often there are flowers smaller than your fingernail. They may be small, but they are just as vibrant and beautiful as the ones we are familiar with. Here are just a few of those flowers up close.

Violet Wood Sorrel (Oxalis violacea)

violet wood sorrelViolet Wood Sorrel Corrinne Brubaker

This little violet flower grows in the woods. I spotted this lone flower while walking a trail at a park near me in Florida. It has five defined petals that are vibrant and colorful. If you look close, you can see little stripes running down them. It grows in a clover-like plant. Look close at the leaves, and in the ground cover in woods to see what little woodland flowers you might find.

West Indian Lantana or Camara Lantana

west indian lantanaWest Indian LantanaCorrinne Brubaker

Native to the American tropics. I saw this flower growing in shrubs near the coast of the bay in Florida. From a distance they were small and nearly blended in with the grasses that surrounded them but as I walked past they were stunning in their sunset shades. If you look close, you'll notice that it's a cluster of smaller flowers in a circle.

A tiny violet flower in the grass

tiny violet flower Tiny Violet FlowerCorrinne Brubaker

As you can tell, a few flowers are small and not as well known, so it was hard to identify this one. This one was tiny, smaller than my fingernail. It was nestled in the grass and grows on a tiny succulent-like plant. The bright yellow stamens stand out from the violet petals. It's a beautifully detailed flower that I spent some time admiring. It's easy to miss when you are walking through the grass; it gets overlooked since it's so tiny, I almost missed it. But just because something is tiny and not well known does not mean it's any less marvelous.

Yellow-orange flowers on a hill

yellow-orange flowers on a hillLittle yellow-orange flowers on a hillCorrinne Brubaker

Again, I tried and tried but couldn't identify these flowers, but I wish I could. They caught my eye as I was looking at the last flower. When you notice one small flower you notice more and more until you see the grass is filled with many varieties of wildflowers you never noticed before. These flowers are soft and velvety forming a ruffled trumpet shape, although they may have not been open all the way. I like how the flowers are various shades of orange and yellow.

Pink wetland flower

Bee on a pink wetland flowerThe bees love this pink wetland flowerCorrinne Brubaker

On skinny stalks at the edge of the lake were many little pink orchid shaped flowers. As I crouched to get a better look, I noticed how much the bees loved them. Dozens of bees flew from flower to flower drinking their nectar. Any flower that bees love is important. Even the dragonflies seemed happy around the flowers, bolting back and forth. I smelled them, and they had a subtle sweetness. Sometimes little wildflowers like these are not only beautiful, but also very important to bees, butterflies, and other pollinators and the ecosystem.

Dune Flower

Dune FlowersDune FlowerCorrinne Brubaker

Abundant on the coast throughout Florida and found on nearly every dune are various varieties of dune flower. Their bright sunflower like appearance catches the eye when walking to the beach. I spotted these one growing on a small dune by the bay, amongst the brush and other grasses.

Indian Blanket (Gaillardia pulchella)

Indian Blanket FlowerIndian Blanket FlowerCorrinne Brubaker

Indian Blanket is part of the sunflower family. Although smaller than the dune flower and hidden in the brush, it's vibrant colors caught my eye. It likes growing in full sun and sandy soils.

What new flowers have you seen lately? Whether well-known or tiny and hiding in the grass, all flowers are stunning and important. I believe they are all worth noticing, worthy of being admired and photographed. So go ahead, discover new flowers you never have before and be sure to look under your feet, because sometimes they are hiding there too.