Study Abroad Mistakes to Avoid

10 Study Abroad Mistakes To Avoid

What you need to know before going abroad.

79
10 Study Abroad Mistakes To Avoid

Before arriving in London, I had no idea what to expect. What did I need to pack? And how much? What did I need to do ahead of time? Below are some of the common mistakes made while studying abroad, and things that I wish someone had told me beforehand. I hope these help!

1. Going to sleep instead of going out

I'm not undervaluing a good night's sleep. But, you can sleep anywhere in the world -- and a lot of the experiences you can have abroad are only going to come once. So go ahead, save the 8 hour night's sleep for home and grab a coffee in the morning.

2. Overspending on an international phone plan

Before leaving, I spent a ton of time researching to find the best plan that my phone service provider had. But, all of the plans were way more than I was willing to spend. Hold off on the "Travel Plan" and get a Sim Card from a provider in the country you're going to. For example, I have an O2 Sim Card with a "Pay as you go" plan that works in London. For 10 pounds a month, I get of data, 2GB, 250 mins, 1000 texts, and access to O2 WiFi, where available. I'd recommend researching plans in the country you're heading to and talking to other people in your program to figure out the most cost efficient option -- but I'm willing to bet it's not your U.S. provider's plan.

3. Packing the right things

Often times, people talk about how much they overpacked. But, I found that even though I packed a lot of things, I didn't necessarily pack the right things or what I needed. Below are some of the things I ended up buying while in London that I wish I had brought:

• Heels or nice shoes to go out in
  • A reusable water bottle
  • A canvas bag for groceries/shopping
  • An umbrella/raincoat
  • A light sweatshirt
  • Flip-flops
  • A fabric shower caddy/a bag to put shampoo and soap in

4. Not bringing an outlet adapter

Yes, you can totally get this once you've arrived. But, it's so much less stressful if you come equipped, especially if you need to charge your phone once you've arrived at the airport in your host country. Also, the first night you arrive, you won't want to be wandering around the city looking for an adapter. Skip the stress and grab one ahead of time.

5. Not working out finances beforehand

There's a few things you should do before leaving to make sure you're ready to spend money abroad:

• Let your bank know that you're going abroad and all possible countries that your card may be used in.
  • Make sure your card has a chip. My card doesn't have one, and a lot of machines in London don't have swiping capabilities so I can't use my card. This is definitely main thing I wish I had known before I had come here, but I'm sure the machines vary by country. But, better safe than sorry.
  • Head to the bank and get out and get the local currency beforehand. You can do this at TD bank without having an account there! A lot of ATMs in London are outdoors and unsafe, so it's better to get out money beforehand. If you need to use an ATM while abroad, make sure you bring a friend and stay aware of your surroundings.

6. Spending too much on meals

During my first week in London, I went out for every meal -- yep, every single one. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on meeting anyone or hanging out with friends I had made. Going out to meals is a great way to get to know people, but you don't need to go out for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Got a fridge and a kitchen? Head to the local grocery and with $10, you can get some peanut butter, bananas, pasta, cheese, and tomato sauce. Make breakfast and lunch on your own and catch up with some friends for dinner. This way, you avoid FOMO andbreaking the bank.

7. Paying for water

In London at least, when you order a water, the waiter or waitress will bring out a bottled water which will cost you 3 pounds or more. Ask for tap water and avoid the extra charge.

8. Tipping

My first few waiters in London must've been very happy with my payment -- I had no idea that tipping 20% wasn't normal here. Tipping varies by country, so I recommend checking out tipping etiquette for the country you're heading to before you get there.

9. Not splurging

I know, I know -- I've just gone on about the many ways to save money while abroad. But really, not splurging on some things is a mistake. I ended up splurging on a concert last weekend that I really debated going to because of the cost. But I realized that not only was the concert a good deal for what I was getting, it was also super cool to go a music festival in London and I wasn't sure the opportunity would come again. Overall, you don't want to look back at your trip with regret. So, save where you can, and repurpose your savings.

10. Saying no

Nervous about trying new food or drinks? About hanging out with a new crowd? About going to a club with friends? It's easy to say no to things that are new and a little scary. But to meet people and make friends, you need to push yourself out of your comfort zone.

On my first night in London, a bunch of people from my dorm were heading out to a pub. I didn't know any of them and was a little nervous, but the people there ended up being my favorite people that I've met here. So skip the Netflix and head to the pub with the group of people from your flat. You might make some amazing friends and experiences that you'll never forget.

Overall, the biggest mistake you could make while abroad is not making the most of your time. So whether that means traveling, visiting all of the tourist attractions, eating at the nicest restaurants, or immersing yourself in local culture, enjoy your time abroad, and don't regret anything.