A college student's love of angry chick music

(11/8) A College Junior's Love Of Angry Chick Music

Break out the Alanis.

36

I am a bit of a music snob, I'll admit it. I have no idea what any of these current songs are on the radio, and I don't like them. I don't think they're "real music."

I also am a proud contrarian. I love hating on things that are popular and liking things that no one knows about, or came out years ago. This especially applies to music and albums.

In other words, I am a typical liberal arts college student or a music hipster.

Don't get me wrong, I hate most of the other forms of hipster culture, with the other exception being organic stuff and old school music. But I am against the rise of record players, they're way too complicated and expensive.

My favorite type of hipster music is what I like to call "angry chick music." If you're not sure what I'm talking about, it's not that complicated. It's pretty much what you think it is. Songs by female artists that you listen to when you have PMS or depression, and that you just scream dramatically alone. They're usually considered under the musical genre of alternative or indie, although some could be considered rock or country.

Examples of angry chick music that I have enjoyed the most are, Alanis Morissette, especially Jagged Little Pill, Fiona Apple, Florence + The Machine, Sheryl Crow, Miranda Lambert, Pat Benatar, Amy Winehouse, and Tori Amos.

All these artists are not only amazing singers but have amazing lyrics. And while I might not relate to them as much or as often as I do Taylor Swift and Christina Aguilera, it feels so cathartic to scream these songs at the top of my lungs. Or lip-sync them, like I am screaming them at the top of their lungs. I have a terrible singing voice, in case you wanted to know.

I've been listening to these artists since I was a kid and had no idea what any of these women were singing about. Sure it's what my parents were listening to, but there's a reason they stuck with me all these years.

Let's be honest, there's nothing better than an angry chick song at the end of a really long day. It seems like they understand all the pain and anger you feel, even though they might not be telling your exact story. I feel like I can't just express all the negative things in my life verbally, so I have to have an outlet. Writing for the Odyssey, writing poetry, and choreographing dances are some of the ways I release that stress.

But sometimes I'm too lazy to do anything, or I'm sick, or I don't want to get out of bed. In those cases, I turn to music. I think we all do.

There's something so cathartic about a woman just letting all her emotions out through a song. And that's why I love this genre of the singer so much.