Student Jobs That Can Help Your Career

Student Jobs That Can Help Your Career

There are heaps of different jobs you could be doing to earn extra cash while you’re in college. However, you’ll probably want to give some thought to how each of your prospective job opportunities might impress prospective employers when you launch your actual career after graduation.

119864
Student Jobs

There are heaps of different jobs you could be doing to earn extra cash while you’re in college. However, you’ll probably want to give some thought to how each of your prospective job opportunities might impress prospective employers when you launch your actual career after graduation. The following jobs are ones you’re probably qualified to do, and they’re likely to be more impressive additions to your resume than the usual Mcjob options would be:

Tutor

If you’re a college student and a native English speaker, you’re likely to find that there are many lucrative tutoring opportunities available to you. You can almost certainly teach English online, and there are possibly also other subjects you’d be qualified to tutor others in.

This job is particularly impressive on your resume if you are planning to launch a career in education, but it can demonstrate relevant skills to employers in virtually every industry. Simply make an effort to align the subjects you’re tutoring with your career goals. So, for example, if you want to work as a data scientist, you might want to make an effort to tutor others in math, statistics or computer programming.

Research Assistant

If you take university courses in any of the sciences or social sciences, you’re likely to find that your professors are engaged in doing related research in the field. They frequently hire students as research assistants to help with their experiments. These jobs not only teach you relevant skills and boost your knowledge base significantly; they also tend to pay reasonably well. The median hourly pay for this position is currently $23.66, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. This job also definitely looks impressive on your resume.

Social Media Specialist

It’s a little hard to believe that there are companies who will pay you to mess around on social media all day – but it’s true; there are many businesses that pay social media specialists to manage their social media marketing endeavors. If you think you might want to pursue a career in marketing after graduation, this is exactly the type of job you’d want to consider doing while you’re still in college.

If you’ve already amassed a following on any of the social media networks like Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or Youtube, you’ve already cultivated a good number of the skills needed for success as a social media specialist. You could easily use your skills to replicate that same success on behalf of someone else’s brand.

This sort of job can be fun to do. Beyond that, you’ll frequently find that the pay is decent, too.

Freelance Writer

Along with the rise of the internet, countless opportunities have become available for freelance writers. Many businesses hire writers to blog for them, create product descriptions, write white papers and do their content marketing.

This is another job that you can align closely with your career goals. If you plan to pursue a career in healthcare, you could consider writing for health websites. If you’re majoring in business or marketing, you’d want to focus on writing for business or marketing related websites. This type of work can add to your knowledge base and also help to increase your network of contacts in the industry you want to work in.

Wrapping Up

There are many other useful jobs you could consider doing in addition to these; the jobs mentioned above are simply examples to get you thinking about ways you could maximize your future opportunities. Of course, you could take the first job that someone offers you. Any job, even one in an unrelated industry, will give you valuable work experience and a network of contacts. But why not be deliberate about seeking out a job that will be as relevant as possible to your future career? The jobs mentioned above are all smart options to consider.