It's Not Your Time Right Now, But You'll Make It, I Promise

The late teens and early 20s can be a hell of a ride, and it's not always sunshine and daisies.

29

The young adult years are upon us, and man can they be harsh.

For many it is experiencing the first few steps of independence; Starting college, going straight into the workforce, or some other path that arises, but no matter what path there is always a struggle somewhere. It can be not getting the grade you wanted or not getting the raise that you worked so hard for. It's trying so hard to prove yourself but nothing seems to change, that mindset takes over and you're exhausted.

Constantly thinking to yourself 'just get to the end of this week and things will get better' ….. but they don't. Issues and tasks begin to pile up one on top of the other, but you convince yourself that a face-mask and night in will do the trick…. but it doesn't. Your planned evening of relaxation turns into anxiety, thinking about what has to be done and the steps to get there, once again you're an emotional wreck.

Frequently leaving you wondering if everything is worth the battle.

When these difficult times become overbearing the future immediately seems bleak. As if the results of one quiz will be the foundation for the rest of your life. Growing up we often have help taking down the challenges that block our path to success; The help of a parent, the right connections made at the right time, or opportunities given.

Receiving help is nothing to be ashamed of, in fact, it is almost uplifting that people around you take time out their schedules to lend a hand, but it gives that first misstep a hard blow to our expectations.

People portray the success of their lives, whether it is getting married, getting their dream jobs, or truly living their best life. What these folks don't share is the day-to-day struggle that came first. Young adults throughout the nation are convinced that they are alone, forced to face these trials and tribulations head on.

Truth is, you aren't.

Recently in a conversation, this subject came up, and of the individuals involved in the conversation, one similarity was the feeling of being isolated. Personally, it never occurred to me that other people around me could possibly feel the same way, but this moment shed a light on the circumstance.

At this point, my mind was spinning, reminiscing of the times where friends and strangers alike would express their frustrations and not one person said a word. Just a nod from listeners to verify they were heard. This conversation helped me understand the impressionable impact a few words of encouragement can do to a person.

Moral of the story, everyone has misfortunes and hardships of all works of life. Be a positive force in the pessimistic world.

It may not be your time, but you will make it.