14 Struggles Every Coffee Shop Barista Knows

It's a jungle in there.

91
mashable.com

Coffee: it makes the world go round. Everything about the experience of getting coffee is exciting: the various specialty drinks, the latte art, the pastries that go with it, and everything in between. But, as a barista, I can tell you that being behind the counter does have its struggles.

1. The complex order.

"Can I get a venti half caff, half whole, half 1%, sugar-free, vanilla latte, extra hot with extra foam and only half the amount of syrups?" First of all, this isn't Starbucks. Second of all, although we can understand if you have a dietary restriction this might be necessary to do, but if not, it will take forever to make your drink and by the time it's done it will no longer be "extra hot."

2. Burning yourself every two minutes.

Whether it's on the milk steamer, the panini grill, a hot pan, or literally even water, it is impossible to not go home without at least three battle scars after a shift.

3. Asking what kind of milk a customer wants and getting the response "cow milk."

What an original joke! I've only heard it at least five times today already! Yes, sometimes it's good to crack a joke to your barista, but please just tell me what kind of milk you want so I can make your drink and make you happy.

4. Calling out a drink 10 times and the customer still doesn't hear it.

It's totally fine if you're sitting far away and didn't hear me call out your drink the first time, but if I'm literally screaming from the top of my lungs, please come claim your drink before I cry. Furthermore, do not ask me if your drink is ready if it's clearly the one I've been calling out for the past 10 minutes.

5. Having a customer throw money onto the counter.

I've politely stretched out my hand to take your change only for you to haphazardly throw your money at me, forcing me to pick it up coin by coin.

6. When a customer asks for an "iced cappuccino."

OK, I know that you're not a barista or a coffee genius. But a cappuccino is espresso, milk, and foam. There is no way, I repeat, no way, to have foam on an iced drink. It just doesn't happen. But I can get you an iced latte instead!

7. When a customer places dirty dishes on the counter.

OK, this one isn't a huge struggle, but still... There is a sign that says "Please place your dishes in the bus cart by the trash. Thank you!" and yet you think that the counter is where the dirty dishes go.

8. Customers that want their drinks made first because they're in a hurry.

I understand if you're on your way to work and don't want to be late, but the rule is first come, first served. If there are 12 drinks in front of yours, there's just no way to do it first; and it wouldn't be fair to other customers.

9. When the corporate intern comes in with 20 drinks to order.

As soon as he/she takes out the five page list of drinks to make, your heart immediately sinks.

10. Dropping coffee beans.

You're almost done measuring out the perfect amount of beans for the next pot of coffee, and out of nowhere your hands slip and they all come crashing down.

11. Running out of syrup/milk.

It's the absolute worst when you're making a drink and have to open a brand new syrup bottle just for one squirt; or when you have to open a brand new gallon of milk for an extra splash.

12. Getting absolutely soaked while washing dishes.

Washing dishes when there's a boatload of them is already terrible, but getting absolutely soaked when doing it is just the icing on the cake.

13. Wanting to scream the wifi password.

Every two minutes someone comes up and asks for the wifi password. It's cafe12cafe. It's always been cafe12cafe. It will always be cafe12cafe. No spaces. No capital letters. All together.

14. Not being there enough.

Despite the many struggles of being a small coffee shop barista, there are even more amazing aspects of it. The regulars who are understanding and absolutely amazing, the sense of unity with the community, knowing that you made someone happy by handing them their first cup of coffee of the day, and of course the amazing friendships made with amazing co-workers. All the pros definitely outweigh the cons and I wouldn't trade my job as a barista for anything in the world.