The One Storyline From A 'Grey’s Anatomy' Episode Everyone NEEDS To See

Do you understand how frustrating and painful that must be for black parents?

223
ABC

Recently an episode of “Grey’s Anatomy” showed a storyline that needed to be seen by everyone. This storyline went inside what it’s like being a black parent and having to tell your son when they're young that there is a target for his life no matter what he does.

In this episode there were four different story-lines and the connection between them all was God and the cruelty of the world.

The one storyline that needs to be discussed is the 12-year-old African American boy that was shot in the neck by an officer because he was trying to break into his own house. This boy had forgotten his keys inside the house and his family was not at home. Someone from the neighborhood had called the police and they came. Instead of the cops arresting him or trying to stop him for breaking in, they shot him in the neck.

It sounds like a common pattern in today’s society.

This child died later on in the hospital. But how the cops acted while he was getting care was unreasonable. They were cuffing him to the bed and when he wasn’t cuffed they were watching him like a hawk. This boy was 12 and unarmed. Even when the parents came and said that it was their house they didn’t leave that kids side.

Later in the episode, it showed Miranda Bailey and her husband Ben Warren teaching their son at the age of 13 that when a cop stops him to put his hands in the air and say his full name and that he has nothing to harm them.

They then go on to tell him that he can’t fight back, to not make any sudden movements, that just because your white friends are talking back does not mean that you can talk back and that he should never, ever run from the police.

Imagine having to tell your child when they are 10 or 11 that there is a target on their back because of something they can’t change. But you have to respect those people that want you dead because they have power over you.

Black people are born with enemies that they didn’t ask for. Enemies that they are supposed to trust because they have the equipment to secure us. But I feel more secure in a room full of criminals than with a room full of police officers.

What I don’t understand is if every person is different then how come when a cop kills an innocent black person, black people are all the same.

At one point in the episode Jackson is talking to one of the police officers, and what he says is what everyone needs to think and say to solve this problem. What he says is as follows:

“I didn’t say anything about racist. I said biased. And lucky for us, bias is fixable. You have protocols in place. Those can be adjusted. You can fix it. Or you can keep pretending that it doesn’t exist at all. Kids are dying. This kid is dead. For what? So many people that look just like him are dying. For what?”

He’s saying there’s a problem and there is a way to fix it so why aren’t you fixing it? When certain police officers see a person of color, why is their first instinct to shoot them? It’s not about racism, not every encounter that goes wrong between a white and black person is about racism. But it’s the bias the cops have against black people.

When is this issue going to stop? When are young people going to be able to live to have a life they want? How many more people have to die until the protocols are fixed?

Blue lives matter. All lives matter. But when you say all lives matter do you imagine black women and men or just white women and men? When you say, blue lives matter do you picture the black cops? Because I don’t.

I don’t know which cop has a vendetta against me because of my race and which ones don’t until it’s too late. And when it’s too late, I’m just another hashtag on Twitter for a few days.