Stop Ignoring The Importance Of Getting A Good Night's Rest
Health Wellness

Stop Sleeping On The Importance Of Getting A Good Night's Rest

It's almost as though we've universally accepted that sleep comes second to success. That is so not OK.

56

In the busy, fast-paced world we live in, it's become the norm to make sacrifices for the sake of productivity. We shorten the time we spend with loved ones, deprive ourselves of alone time and even put our health at risk in order to complete our to-do lists.

When put in those terms, it sounds unhealthy. And that's because it is.

Even more problematic is the fact that we have a tendency of sacrificing our health first — specifically, our rest. How many times have you heard an overwhelmed college student brag about the fact that they pulled an all-nighter to finish their term paper? How many times have you heard the expression "I'll sleep when I'm dead?"

And it's not just college students who do this. Plenty of teenagers and adults throw their sleep on the chopping block, whether it's to get some more work done or finish homework assignments.

Though most of us can get by on just a little sleep, shortening our hours of rest is harming our long-term health. Research has shown that getting less than the recommended amount of sleep can shorten one's lifespan. And no, you actually can't make up for it another night.

And a lack of sleep doesn't just affect your physical health. It messes with your mental health, too.

With all that in mind, we really need to stop sleeping on the importance of getting a full night of rest. The work you need to do will be there tomorrow. But if you don't start getting some shut-eye, the same can't necessarily be said for you.

So, make a vow that you'll start prioritizing your sleep. Take your body more seriously than the work you need to do. There will be other projects and other opportunities, but you'll never have another body. Give yours some rest.

You'll thank yourself for it later.