Ladies, Saying You Hate Feminism Makes You Sound Ignorant

Saying "I hate feminism" is equivalent to saying "I hate having rights and being treated fairly."

2923

In the last few years, being a "feminist" has become a bit of a trend. It is very common to see women protesting for fair pay, equal rights, and other issues that affect women. Even more recently, however, it has become a trend to not be a feminist, and some women have even gone as far as to say they hate feminism.

I could understand if they were saying "I hate modern feminism" or even "I hate the way being a feminist is portrayed," but saying you hate feminism is basically equivalent to saying you hate having rights. Early feminists fought for your right to vote. Feminism is what allows you to work jobs that are more traditionally masculine if you want.

Feminists fight for equal pay and fair working conditions between genders. Feminists have been fighting since basically forever for women to have the same basic human rights as men.

If it weren't for feminism, women would not have a voice. Period. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Feminism isn't just about "freeing the nipple" and abortion rights (although those issues are important and should definitely be discussed too, regardless of which way you believe.) It's not "abolish dress codes altogether" it's "make dress codes just as strict on boys as girls and value our education as much as you value theirs."

Feminism, in its truest form, isn't "women are better than men," but "women are equal to men." We don't want more rights than men or to be allowed more freedoms than men are allowed, we simply want those same rights and freedoms to start with.

I beg you, before you say "I hate feminism," do some research and learn what true feminism actually is. Understand that you can be a conservative republican and still be a feminist. You can be religious and still support feminist ideals. Don't limit yourself to a stereotype, and don't let social media trick you into thinking that feminism is all about marching naked down the street.

Feminism is about supporting and empowering other women, and wanting them to be treated fairly. It's about women banding together and fighting for what is right, not just for ourselves, but for our fellow women. And that looks different to everyone. And maybe that's okay.