How Do I Live Content With My Life

Just Because You're Not Where You Want To Be Now Doesn't Mean You'll Never Get There, So Stop Running

Work toward your future, but don't miss the beauty of where you are right now.

78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFY9ace2t4s

What do you want to do with your life? Where are you trying to go? Where are you now?

What motivates you? Are you afraid you'll never get where you want to go?

Why are you rushing through life?

Ferris Bueller once said...

And it's true.

But sometimes it feels like you're running out of time. Sometimes it feels like if you're not where you want to be now, you'll never get there. Sometimes it feels like you constantly have to run to the next part of life.

And that's not true.

You have time.

I know that's easy to hear and harder to actually listen to. It's something I've struggled with too.

I haven't traveled to all the places I want to visit. I haven't written a book. And I haven't bought a house with a wrap-around porch. Yet.

Because that's not where my life is now.

I haven't been to California, but I've been to Washington, DC. I haven't written a book, but I have an English degree. I'm not in a financial place to buy a house, but I am renting a great apartment. Because that's where my life is right now.

Before this stage in my life, I felt behind. I was always looking ahead to where I wanted to be—to what I thought I deserved. I couldn't be content with where I was. I was in college working toward the future, but I was so focused on the future, I sometimes ignored what was going on day to day. I felt rushed. I couldn't wait to graduate and get out of there.

But now, I'm graduated. I'm in the "there," and yet I'm still looking toward the future in the same way. I can be so focused on getting to where my life can "start." But the thing is, my life has been happening all around me.

It's a pretty obvious statement. Yet, it's one I often need to tell myself. I need to remind myself to live in the present. It's taken me a while to change my mindset but it's not impossible.

You can change your mindset too if you need to.

In the present, you can stop for a minute, look around and enjoy your life. In the present, you can also work toward your future in a healthy way. You can take the time to figure out the best way for you to get where you want to be while still slowing down to live in the present.

And if you find yourself discontent with where you are, make a list of what you can do now to get there. Research jobs. Plan your classes. Work on your hobbies. Take some time to rest well.

I'm not behind. You're not behind either. You don't need to rush through your life.

Stop running.