romantacizing netflix you

Ladies, Stop Romanticizing Joe Goldberg from 'You'

I get why girls are infatuated with this character, but that may be even scarier than what happens in the show.

67

BEWARE- Spoilers are ahead!

The latest binge-watchable show has hit Netflix with its tale of finding true love- but with a twist. Based on the novel of the same name by Caroline Kepnes, "You" follows a smalltime bookstore owner, Joe Goldberg (played by "Gossip Girl's" Penn Badgley), who is just looking for his soulmate in the romantic streets of New York City. He gives off a cute-but-in-a-hot-way vibe and seems like a really nice guy with good intensions when he starts flirting with a customer- Guinevere Beck (played by Elizabeth Lail)- who will soon be added to Joe's killing list.

This isn't like any other Criminal Minds"-esque show that depicts the story of a serial killer or psychopath and how they live; "You" is mostly made up of an overlapping narration from Joe that shows us what his exact thoughts are in the spur of the moment of his latest love venture; come to think of it, I think we hear Joe's inner thoughts more than actual dialogue. So throughout the entire series viewers are with Joe more than they realize- even inside his own head most of the time- and this could be a good and bad thing.

Now before I dive into just how crazy I think girls are for having a crush on this sociopath, I have to admit that I was on the train, too, for a couple of episodes. Joe is portrayed to be seen as this really chill guy who only wants one thing: to find his true love. From the minute the show starts, the audience knows that Joe is a believer in finding his other half, that real-life Rom-Com moments can actually happen and believing that he should do everything in his power to do what's best for that person. He makes all of this strikingly clear when he willingly kills Beck's on-and-off scummy boyfriend Benji and her secretly obsessed B.F.F. Peach so that Beck could live her best life with him... and only him.

Joe's motives may be very clear, and may even be perceived in a good light by many, but that's what the show wants viewers to see. Joe may be a hopeless romantic, and he's consciously aware of his decisions and killings, but he repetitively says throughout the show that "he is not a killer" when he very much is one; frankly, this is what a serious sociopath sounds like when they believe themselves to be one thing when they actually are another.

And let's not forget that Joe is a full-on creeper, too. The minute after Joe meets Beck, he looks all over the web and social media apps to find her profile and finds out about her entire life through these outlets. Granted, what girl has never Insta-stalked a guy they've just met? And half the time this is for safety reasons anyways. Well, Joe's mind wants more information all the time, and fast, so he results in actually stalking Beck and finding out where she lives in the mere 24 hours that they meet each other.

https://twitter.com/PennBadgley/status/10830837471...

Joe's dedication to making sure Beck's living her best life and he's being the best boyfriend for her is admirable, I admit, but there is a line to where that admiration has to stop (a.k.a. his stalking and killing, just to name a few attributes). Social media has confessed their hidden crush for Joe to where even Millie Bobby Brown has stated that she was in love with the character. Not only am I a little shocked that a majority of audiences are loving this character, but I'm also disappointed in the fact because it shows a lot about our society today.

I believe these girls love Joe because he shows that he cares for Beck; to witness a guy like Joe care SO much for the woman he loves to the point where he'd do anything (literally) for her kind of captivates a girl's inner yearning for that perfect boyfriend- minus the sociopathic tendencies, of course. From observing these audience reactions to Joe's character, I can see that the majority of girls may have experienced relationships with guys who didn't pay them enough attention or showed that they didn't cared all that much.

In summary, I believe the girls who are crushing on Joe most likely don't believe that guys in today's world can be that traditionally caring anymore, and frankly, that's really upsetting to realize. I really hope we've come to the point in today's society where girls don't have to automatically assume that an unhealthy relationship or an uncaring guy is "the new norm" and young men are striving to change those preconceptions with their actions moving forward.

If these girls are just straight crushing on Penn Badgley and his tendency to play sneaky-but-cute-as-heck characters in his work, though, then that's a different story.