Stop Feeling Bad
popular

If You’re Getting Bad Again, STOP

I've had to pull myself out of my funk more times than I can count and this time was no exception.

6451
If You’re Getting Bad Again, STOP
https://www.pexels.com/photo/adult-blur-city-dawn-171296/

I know that's a lot to ask. Believe me, I have gotten the same way. I have to pull myself out of my funk every time I feel myself getting bad. If you think about it though, haven't you always been able to pull yourself out?

What I mean by that is, in the past, how were you able to get out of your funk or even partially out of your funk?

This week I noticed something. I noticed that I had a really messy and cluttered apartment. This isn't new. The mess has been sitting that way for a few months. I just let it grow and my frustration toward my roommates grew with it because the mess wasn't all me or my boyfriend, it was also them, and Devan and I were the only ones truly picking up after ourselves.

I realized that my anger and frustration for how bad the room had gotten contributed to my sour mood, so I cleaned. I told my boyfriend I wanted to clean. He was not in favor, but he helped anyway. We cleaned for HOURS. Things that we never got to clean when we would clean before became spotless. Once I finished cleaning I sat down. I looked around the room. There were certain things I wanted to touch up and make neater, but the room was clean and I felt accomplished. Granted, if you look closely you will definitely discover it is not as clean or organized as it could be, but compared to what it was, it is significantly better.

The moral of this story is I felt like I was taking a nosedive into a deep funk, but I pulled myself up and made something better. When I finished cleaning I felt like I had achieved something. I hadn't felt that way in a long while. Even if you don't do a deep clean as I did, pick one part of your room; whether that be your growing laundry basket in the corner, your overcrowded dresser, or the things scattered all over the floor, take one minute or one hour or one day and clean that one area. After you've cleaned that area and focused on it so much to make it look pretty, take a step back and enjoy the feeling of accomplishment. Don't put yourself down in saying "Oh yeah I did this, but the rest of my room is a mess" because you cleaned part of your room. Maybe tomorrow you can tackle that laundry on your floor or maybe you'll just start with making your bed look pretty.

Just pick one area and focus on it. Once you feel it has met your standard of clean, enjoy it. Move on to the next part of the room and keep going. Soon you'll realize that while you were in your funk you completely cleaned your room. If you live by yourself or with roommates, maybe you'll move on to the living and dining rooms of your place.

Just remember to take a moment after finishing something to feel accomplished because if you dive into another thing and another thing at the end you'll feel exhausted and while the room will be clean that much faster, you might put yourself down more for not working on something else.

Life hurts and it sucks sometimes, but we get to be the master of our fate and take charge to change the rules, so go and change the rules.