Stereotypes

As A Black Woman, I'm Tired Of Being Placed Into These 7 Stereotypes

People believe too faithfully in stereotypes and it's so unfortunate.

150
Taylor Cust

Before I get started, I would like to put a disclaimer out there. Being the young black woman that I am, most of the stereotypes that I mention will be ones that pertain to me and my life as a young black woman. With that being said, there are hundreds of other stereotypes that unfortunately still exist today that I won't be mentioning. Just because I am not mentioning them doesn't take away from the fact that they are very much real. Now that that is out of the way, here are 7 stereotypes that I have personally witnessed and that I have proved to be wrong.

1. Teen pregnancy

This is one of the number one stereotypes that young black women come across. Being that we are young and black and a woman it seems as though people are just waiting for us to get pregnant at a young age. Then, if and or when we don't people appear shocked as if they have just seen a ghost or something. Yes, this is a common thing among young girls, but the color of my skin has nothing to do with it. So please, stop acting so proud or surprised when you see me and I'm not pregnant.

2. Obnoxious/loud

Number two is another HUGE stereotype that young women are categorized in. People see us and automatically assume that as soon as we open our mouths we are going to start yelling. 99% of the time when people catch us being loud there is a whole lead up as to why we are being loud. However, some people are just naturally loud. The amount of melanin or lack thereof has nothing to do with it.

3. Ghetto

MAJOR stereotype number three is that we are all ghetto. Being "ghetto" to most people is anything from speaking improper English, dressing a certain way, living in a certain place, listening to certain music or even just looking a certain way. Everyone has their own sense of style and look. Just because I wear certain things doesn't mean that I'm just some "ghetto" woman.

4. Lazy

People of color are just as likely to be lazy or active as any other person in the world.

5. Just good for sports

Automatically assuming that all black kids are athletes or good at sports is another one. A subset to that is assuming that every black person either plays basketball or runs track. We are not bred and born just to play sports. Just like any other person, we are good at some sports and bad at others.

6. Be a housewife

Women are here to serve a much higher purpose than to just cook, clean, and have babies. These are all things that we do or can do, but that is not all that we are good for. Black women especially are making amazing strides towards bigger and better things, like becoming doctors, politicians, surgeons, teachers and so many other amazing things that at one-point people never thought we would do.

7. Criminal

African Americans are unjustly considered to be some kind of criminal or thief all because we look a certain way. I have literally been followed around a store because they thought that I was going to steal something. I have also walked in a store with a few friends of mine and was told that I should probably try a store a few doors down because they don't think I will be able to afford anything in there.

Just because I am black and because I am a woman does not mean that I am anything other than myself. You, as another human being, has no right to assume and judge anything about me, my current life situation, or who I am. It is time we stop holding onto to these ridiculous stereotypes and start trying to just be accepting of one another.