Staycations Are So Underrated

Staycations Are So Underrated

Who says you need to leave your house to enjoy a vacation?

834
Staycations Are So Underrated
Photo by Toa Heftiba on Unsplash

As spring break is quickly approaching, a first-year college student, or anyone at all, may feel overwhelmed by the thought of all that goes into a getaway. When I think of spring break, I think of the iconic scenes from movies where a group of college kids goes to Mexico or Miami Beach to party on a crowded beach surrounded by DJs and booze.

That sounds fun, but it may not be realistic or appealing to everyone. Some people would rather save money for rent or a car rather than blow it on a trip. Others may not be fans of the wild scenes that go along with these kinds of trips.

Who says that the only way to enjoy break is to hop on a plane with your friends to an island of liquor and EDM? Before going off to college, I had way too much fun spending my spring breaks on the couch wearing oversized sweats, eating an unhealthy amount of Skinny Pop, and watching an insane amount of movies with my pets napping by my side. Who's to say that a staycation can't be fun?

Jet-lag is a pain. But you know what isn't a pain? Sleeping until the mid-day sunlight wakes you up and lazily strolling downstairs to find your parents cleaning up the kitchen after making lunch. Instead of needing to catch up on all the hours you lost on your flight to Costa Rica, you could get back all the hours of sleep you lost while studying for midterms (or by spending way too many late nights out with friends).

Packing for vacation has to be one of the most annoying things ever. The good news is that you don't even need to go shopping for new clothes for your staycation! Appearance is as unimportant as the number of episodes you binge in one day. All you need is an oversized hoodie and baggy sweatpants along with a pair of fuzzy socks; your dog won't judge you even if your socks don't match. You could even step it up a notch and wear a Rudolph onesie even though it's the middle of spring!

Airplane tickets can be costly, and, let's face it: they're not going to get cheaper any time soon. As if the flight wasn't expensive enough, add on the crazy prices of renting a car or using Uber as well as paying for a hotel for your entire stay, and you've just dropped a lot of cash on a trip that's only going to last a few days. It's a good thing all you need is a few dollars a month to stream all the movies and shows to your heart's content.

Who actually wants to get up at five in the morning to make an early flight? Lucky for you, alarms and strict schedules are not allowed in staycations! What's even worse than waiting in traffic for eons and eons as you wonder whether or not you'll miss your flight? Getting to the airport way too early and spending hours outside your terminal as you get lured to spend way too much money on duty-free. Thank God you don't have to worry about all of that unnecessary boredom because staycations are all about relaxing at your own leisure.

Do yourself (and your bank account) a big favor by opting to stay in this upcoming break. There's nothing wrong with a little R&R! Plus, who says you can't save up and go on an all-out adventure with your friends for your next vacation? In the meantime, think about all the cat naps you can take...