7 Things To Do If You Take A Staycation Instead Of A Vacation

Staying home can be just as fun as going out.

13
Photo by Joe Pizzio on Unsplash

I just finished a mini-semester class, and I have a few days before I start a month-long internship. My parents and sister are out of town on a trip, leaving me home alone. I would have loved to have gone with them, but because of my class, I was not able to go. So, I decided to make the most of my time at home by myself and have my own "staycation."

Whether you can't afford a vacation this summer or you just have a few days of free time on your hands, a staycation can be the perfect way to relax and unwind. Here are seven ideas to make the most of your downtime.

1. Read a book

I love to read, but as a college student, I often do not have time to do it during the semester. If you are like me, school work keeps you busy, and it is hard to find the time to sit down with a good book. Your staycation is the perfect time to catch up on your reading.

I like to sit outside on my front porch in my hammock chair and read. If you need some book suggestions, take a look at this list of classics I compiled.

2. Take a drive

Going for a drive is one of my favorite things to do. Just get in the car, pick a road, and drive. You do not have to have a set destination, just a car and a sense of curiosity. It's fun to crank up the music and sing at the top of your lungs as you cruise, taking in the sites. You can see all kinds of interesting things if you just take the scenic route.

3. Go on a hike

Going on a hike is a great way to get outside and enjoy some sunshine. Whether it's a half mile or eight miles, hiking gets you out into nature to enjoy the sites and sounds of the great outdoors. Some state parks charge a small fee to enter, but national parks are usually free. Also, some state parks are surrounded by wilderness areas that have hiking trails as well. You will not have to a pay a fee to hike these, and you still get to experience the beauty around the park.

4. Go swimming

Summer months can get really hot, and it is nice to cool off every once in a while. Whether it is your own pool, a public pool, a lake, or a creek, jumping in the water is a fun way to cool off. A day by the water is a nice way to spend your staycation.

5. Eat at your favorite restaurant or cook your favorite meal

Just because you are not on a real vacation does not mean you should not treat yourself. Pick a night and go to your favorite restaurant. If you love to cook, fix your favorite meal. You could even make your favorite dessert to go with it.

6. Catch up on you favorite show

If school keeps you busy, like it does for me, you do not have a lot of time to sit around watching Netflix. A staycation is the perfect time to catch up on your favorite show. If you prefer movies, go see that latest one you have been dying to see. Pop some popcorn, grab your drink of choice, and enjoy a movie or TV marathon.

7. Do the tasks you have been putting off

I know that on your time off you want to relax, but this is also a great time to complete tasks you have been procrastinating. Stop putting it off and get it done while you have the time. Clean out the closet you have been procrastinating about, organize the kitchen, or clean out the junk drawer. Once you get started you might discover that it won't take as long as you thought.