14 Ways For College Girls To Stay Safe On Campus

14 Ways College Girls Can Stay Safe On Campus

Better safe than sorry!

27
Photo by Scott Webb on Unsplash
Photo by Scott Webb on Unsplash

We are nearing the end of August, which means that fall is approaching and schools are starting up. When most people think of college, they think of fun and awesome times. While college may be fun and exciting, there are still potentially dangerous things that can happen on or near campus. So, I thought I would write a helpful article on ways college girls, or students in general, can help themselves stay safe on or around campus.

1) Familiarize Yourself With Public Safety

I think this one is probably the most important out of these. Go on your university's website and read. A few of the programs listed on my university's website are Alcohol & Drug Prevention, Sexual Violence Prevention, and Hazing Prevention. Reading through the articles posted may seem boring, but they could really help you in the long run.

2) Buddy System

Everyone has heard of the buddy system. Walking with a friend or a group of friends could help keep you from becoming a victim (especially at night). Ever heard someone talk about "safety in numbers?"

This doesn't only apply to female college students. This applies to everyone.

3) Pepper Spray

A great way to keep yourself safe is pepper spray. When you're walking around campus, make sure to keep your pepper spray close to you. Keep it in your pocket, on a key chain, or on a lanyard; it will not do you any good if it is buried in the bottom of your backpack. (Make sure you are allowed to have it on campus. I am allowed to have it on mine, but not every college is the same.)

4) Place Your Keys In Between Your Fingers

This is something I have been told many times.

5) Campus Security

If you are ever out near or after dark, I suggest calling campus security to walk you to your car or residence hall. Seriously, take advantage of this. Please do not be to shy to ask, because this could help you prevent being attacked.

6) Self Defense Classes

If your school offers a free self defense class, I recommend taking it. If it is not free, look on YouTube. There are a lot of tips and techniques found on YouTube, so help yourself and watch them.

7) Earbuds

When walking by yourself, it is best to not have earbuds in. If you do have earbuds in, I suggest only having one in. Having both earbuds in can distract you from hearing someone sneaking up behind you.

8) Keep Your Phone Charged

Your dead battery is not going to help you in an emergency, so keep your phone charged.

9) Taking The Stairs

Taking the stairs during the morning and afternoon may not be so bad, especially in a large group. But in the evenings and after dark, I would not recommend taking the stairs, especially by yourself. Instead, take the elevator. And stand close to the control buttons. If anything were to happen, you can press the emergency button.

10) Park Close

Whether you are on campus or at the local Wal-Mart, always try to park close to the entrance of the store or building (especially at night).

11) Check Your Vehicle

ALWAYS check your vehicles before entering them. Look under your car, the backseat, and even the passenger side floor. This will prevent you from taking the intruder to your house (or wherever) without you knowing.

12) Check The Vehicles Around You

Not only do you need to check your own vehicle, you need to check the vehicles surrounding yours. If there is a big van beside your vehicle, enter from the passenger side and lock your doors once you are inside. Or walk back into the store or building you came from and ask for help.

13) Don't Linger In Your Vehicle

After getting in your car, you should lock the doors, buckle up, and then leave. Doing so could help you from ending up in a terrifying situation.

14) Watch Your Drink

This tip is a HUGE one. No matter where you are or what you're doing, ALWAYS keep an eye on your drink. You never know what someone is going to slip in your drink while you are in the little girl's room.

I really hope some college students, or people in general, got something out of this article. The intent of this article was not to make you paranoid, but to make you cautious. Bad things happen every day, so it is good to know how to keep yourself protected.