7 Easy Ways To Stay Eco-Friendly In College

The future of this planet is in our hands.

2
https://unsplash.com/photos/OBok3F8buKY

Last week, as I was scrolling down my Facebook, I came across an unusual amount of posts on my timeline regarding the drastic effects of climate change. After seeing almost 13 articles within five minutes, I began to believe I was being given a sign to do something and spread awareness about the problem at hand. Quickly, I hopped on my computer and started doing research to see what I, a college student, could do to help combat climate change. The effects of climate change are becoming more tragic each day and will continue to get worse until we start to do something about it. Here are just a few easy things everyone can do to help keep our planet alive.

1. Buy a refillable water bottle

https://unsplash.com/photos/vVhT49dYXd4

Refillable water bottles are one of the easiest ways to reduce plastic consumption as a college student. You can buy them for as cheap as five dollars and you'll no longer have to spend money on water bottles. Plus, most campuses have stations that you can fill reusable water bottles up at for free.

2. Reuse plastic bags

https://unsplash.com/photos/IvWEUvMwmlg

Each time I go grocery shopping, I come home with a handful of plastic bags. Instead of immediately throwing them out, save them and use them as trash bags in your bathroom or any other place with a small trash can.

3. Reuse textbooks or buy Ebooks

https://unsplash.com/photos/eMP4sYPJ9x0

Not only are new textbooks expensive, but they also waste a lot of paper. Instead of buying new textbooks, opt for used ones or the online version. It will save you money while also saving the environment.

4. Recycle

https://unsplash.com/photos/eMP4sYPJ9x0

Although this may not be new to anyone, it is super easy to forget to recycle when living on a college campus. Throughout the year, college students use hundreds of pieces of paper. Instead of just tossing the papers in the trash, buy a separate trash bin for items you can recycle and throw your papers in there.

5. Save Water

https://unsplash.com/s/photos/shower

Whether it's taking shorter showers or simply turning the sink off while brushing your teeth, the little things that you do add up to make a big difference.

6. Go thrift shopping

https://unsplash.com/s/photos/shower

Are you in need of new clothes? Before you hit the mall, check out some thrift stores. Thrift stores have tons of barely used and inexpensive items. Plus, most thrift stores have super unique items that you wouldn't find anywhere else.

Take the shuttle to class

https://unsplash.com/s/photos/bus

Instead of driving your car to campus, check to see if your apartment complex has a shuttle. By taking the shuttle, you are helping to reduce the amount of carbon emissions released into the air. Another perk of taking the shuttle is that you wont have to buy an expensive parking pass or spend an extra thirty minutes looking for a parking spot.