State Parks Are Still Awesome In The Winter

Take an adventure to these must-see locations

77
Hannah Nugent

Despite the snow and cold winter weather we've been facing, Zack and I took it upon ourselves to go on a hiking adventure during his visit to Binghamton. After some research to find a place to go, we decided to take the hour and a half drive to Watkins Glen State Park and then another half hour drive to Taughannock Falls State Park. I'll admit now that it was 100% worth the drive, so much so that we've already decided to make a return in the summer when all the trails will be open and not covered in ice. If you're looking for somewhere to go any season, I definitely recommend either of these locations. Here are some photos of our adventure to help convince you:

The first stop on our trip was Watkins Glen State Park, most famously known for it's beautiful Gorge Trail and waterfalls. Unfortunately, due to winter weather the Gorge Trail was closed for maintenance and safety reasons. Knowing this, we started on the Indian Trail which offered views that were just as beautiful.

Although the Suspension Bridge was at the beginning of the trail, it immediately brought us beautiful views of the frozen landscapes off either side. If you look close enough, you can see the stairs of the Gorge Trail and the obvious reasons why it's closed until mid-May.

And of course, everyone loves a pretty place that will provide them with good selfie scenery.

Lover's Lane, ironically enough, was not very loving. The rough winter weather had left a tree collapsed over the top of the staircase. While you might think that would've been our cue to turn around, we couldn't help ourselves from climbing through the fallen tree and continuing down the stairs to another lookout.

Climbing through the tree branches? Totally worth it for this view.

Our next stop along the trail was the Point Lookout. From this look out you not only got to see the Gorge Trail and its rushing water, but you could also see the mountains in the distance. In addition to the flowing water, there were icicles everywhere.

This staircase leads both in and out of the trails from the parking lot. Although we managed to use them covered in snow and ice, I can't wait to return in the summer.

No more than thirty minutes away, you can find Taughannock Falls State Park. The main entrance takes you directly to a parking lot with two lookouts. Unfortunately the lookout below the one we were standing on was also closed to winter conditions. However, as we stood up there we saw people down below by the waterfall and knew we had to find our way there.

Of course we did. A short drive down the road from the previous lookout was the entrance to the Gorge Trail, a 3/4 mile trail that's full of beautiful sights. While quite empty of people during the winter, this area is well known for being stood in/around in the summer season (as if I needed another reason to return in the summer).

Still looking for a pretty place to take selfies? Taughannock definitely qualifies as well. With a walkway that looks out on either side, you're given the ability to walk right up to the waterfall.

As previewed in the background of the selfie, we made it to the bottom of the waterfall. When we turned around and looked up, we could see the lookout that we had originally stood at moments ago. Being so beautiful in the winter, I can only imagine what it must look like during other seasons. Pictures can't do justice to a sight so massive and breathtaking to the eye.

I hope our adventures inspire you to head outside, even despite this cold weather. And if not, these are definitely two go-to places for a summer hike.