For Those Of Us Who Have Already Started Slacking On Our New Year's Resolutions

Some things we can improve on no matter what time of year it is!

139
Unsplash

If you're anything like me, those New Years resolutions you started, having to do with dieting or working out last a good two weeks, and then slowly start to creep out of the daily routine. I came up with ten resolutions that are always important to improve on, no matter what time of the year it is, that will maybe even help you get back on track with the resolutions that you set (and even better, don't have anything to do with your appearance).

1. Be well-informed before making an opinion or judgment.

Whether it be a rumor that you heard about the girl who lives on your floor or a judgment about a government official, make sure that you are completely informed before stating how you feel. This helps to avoid misunderstandings or saying something that is not accurate.

2. Be more open to criticism.

This one is WAY easier said than done but is very important. To be successful at anything in life, it's good to remember how valuable criticism is. Chances are, with anything you do, there is always somebody who has been doing it longer. Let them critique your work and try not to take it personally. It will help you grow and succeed.

3. Call loved ones more often.

I am definitely one of many college kids that take things like this for granted. Growing up you realize the hard way that life is way too short and is sometimes taken early from the people that you love. This year try to stay in better contact with your relatives and loved ones that you may not see very often. You never know how strongly it will impact them and how happy it will make them feel.

4. Be more gracious to strangers.

So many times I've found myself being standoffish and unwelcoming to strangers when I am alone. I've started to practice being more gracious and friendly to strangers that I encounter, and start small-talk conversations with them. You never know what somebody else is going through and if your sunny attitude and conversation can do to uplift their mood and even make their day.

5. Build meaningful relationships.

Try to have more depth in the relationships you create with people. Listen to them fully and try to get to know them better than just the things you have in common. This will improve your listening skills and your connection with other individuals as a whole which is a fantastic quality to have.

6. Set specific goals.

Goals such as "making more money" or "getting fit" are way too general and are often never completed because of this. Make your goals more specific. For example turn "making more money" into "putting half of my paycheck into savings", or turn "getting fit" into "taking time to go to the gym at least three days of the week." With more specific goals we are easily able to put things into our weekly routines and are a lot more likely to reach them.

7. Try to learn something new every day.

This can be anything from trying to learn a new language, learning how to play an instrument, or simply learning how to make a new recipe. It's so good for us to try and learn new skills or concepts aside from the things we learn in class.

8. Attempt to meditate daily.

I'm not talking about "ohm" on the floor with your legs crossed, but simply taking time out of your day to focus on your goals and yourself among all of the other chaos and stresses that life can throw at us.

9. Practice speaking more positively.

What you speak and put into the universe is exactly what you're going to get. Rather than "I really doubt I'm going to get the job," try saying "It would be really awesome if I got that job." What we speak about ideas is what we subconsciously attract.

10. Make moves.

Last but not least, don't just talk about the things you're planning to do in the future or the goals that you're trying to reach. Call the office of that job you really want and let them know who you are. Apply for that internship that you've always dreamed of. Nothing is guaranteed or handed to us, so it's important to take charge and go after what you want rather than just wishing it will come to you.