What To Expect On Your First Day Of Work
Health Wellness

I Started My First Full-Time Job Today — Here's What I've Learned So Far

The first day of a 9-5 can bring many surprises and good memories.

96
https://skitterphoto.com/photos/3092/working-place

So, I started my first full-time job this week. It is an editorial internship with a local paper in the downtown area of my city. It's a regular 9-5, and I am seen as part of the newsroom, not just an intern. This past week has been exhilarating, exhausting and a phenomenal learning experience.

Firstly, the people are amazing. I was super lucky to join a team of people who are not only kind and encouraging, but great at what they do and willing to help. It can make such a difference when adjusting to a new job to be surrounded by people that help you to grow instead of making it more difficult.

Secondly, working all day long is tiring, but there is nothing better than putting your feet up at the end of a long day. Having never worked a full-time job before this summer, you can bet I could barely open my eyes after my first day. You will be tired on a level you never thought possible, and you will need to remember that there is an adjustment period. The good thing is, you adapt pretty fast to your new schedule. Just allow yourself plenty of time to sleep at night, and the adjustment will follow.

Thirdly, it's OK to be a beginner. I think so many interns feel insecurity about the fact that they are not entering their fields as experts, but it's important to remember that you are a beginner and that is fine. You are there to learn and grow in your field, not to be a perfect example of success. You will have lots of questions, and that is OK. You will make mistakes, and that is OK. And every day will be a new chance to grow.

Overall, I'm excited to continue on with my internship. I am excited to finish adjusting and push myself to see what I can achieve this summer. As long as you keep a positive attitude and remember to relax, you will be in for a very rewarding experience.