5 Easy Ways To Start Living A Healthier Lifestyle

A healthy outside starts with a healthy inside.

19

Sometimes it can seem hard to live a healthy lifestyle, especially if you're a student in college like me. However, there are a few easy things you can do to start living healthier today!

1. Drink more water

I know your mom has told you a thousand times to drink more water, but she's right! Water is an essential part of being healthy. It's best to ditch drinks with sugars such as juice, soda, energy drinks, sweet tea, and alcohol, too. Drinking water will not only keep you hydrated, but it will also help you maintain your metabolism, help with weight-loss, and even clear up any skin issues you might be having. Try to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day and you will immediately start feeling so much better, I guarantee it!

2. Ditch the fast food

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a sucker for a Wendy's "Baconator", but this kind of food just isn't realistic for everyday living. Eating your favorite cheat meals are fine, in moderation of course. But ditching greasy fast food is a huge step towards leading a healthier lifestyle.

3. Get up and move

I know we are all super busy, but even just making time to exercise for 30-60 minutes at least 3 times a week will make you look and feel better. Exercising is also a great way to release some of that built up stress you might have. Whether it's running on a trail or around your neighborhood, or taking advantage of the gym in your neighborhood or college campus, getting active is a great way to feel super healthy. Finding a workout buddy can make being active a lot more fun while also helping each other be accountable.

4. Get plenty of sleep

Sleep goes hand in hand with exercising. Even if you are going to the gym 6 days a week, your body will never be as healthy as it can be if you aren't sleeping enough. Your body needs time to rest and repair itself, and sleep is the only way to do that. Make sure you are getting at least 7-8 hours of sleep each night.

5. Include more fruits and vegetables in your diet

Fruits and vegetables are a vital part of our health. Try eating a healthy salad with fruits and/or veggies. Or even adding at least one side of fruits and/or vegetables for each meal of the day. Fruits and vegetables also make sure quick, easy, and delicious snacks. Take a bag of small carrots or bell peppers to school or work for a midday pick-me-up instead of eating a bag of chips. Or, next time you're at Chick-fil-A, get the fruit cup instead of the fries. Making better choices when it comes to eating is a great and easy way to kickstart your healthy lifestyle.