A Thank You Letter To Star Wars, The Franchise I Grew Up With

From one nerd to the next.

21
@star.wars.art on Instagram

As "The Last Jedi" came out earlier this month, no spoilers I swear, I decided to write a love letter, as well as an appreciation letter, to the series I grew up with. A series that helped me bound with my family and friends all through life, a series that I can contribute my love of films to. As well as a large reason I wanted to become a filmmaker myself.

Dear Star Wars,

Before I thank the universe and all who inhabit it I first need to thank the creator, George Lucas. A man who insisted on creating something he was proud of, going against all who told him he couldn't. George Lucas, like many artists, had his ideas shot down, his sci-fi world was approached with disgust and hate.

The studio refused to believe Lucas's creation was going to be a success. After the set was destroyed a week into filming Lucas had to use any and all props he could find from other movies to create the low budget film, "A New Hope." He created his own VFX Studio in order to create the flash of a lightsaber and the flash of light that destroys the death star.

Thank you, George, for fighting the studio, your crew, your actors, and all who doubted, "A New Hope" and the world you created.

Thank you for being the prime example of the artist's struggle for proving all who doubted you wrong and showing every young artist and fan to never give up.

To the beloved characters I grew up with and once imagined naming my pretend children after, thank you, for being fierce fighters and lovable heroes.

Han Solo taught me how to be the lovable sarcastic person I am today, his sass and blunt remarks have fueled my humor.

Laia's love and fierce attitude is a characteristic I've fought to have forever. To be as strong as Laia is something I'm still working on, but she was always a fierce fighter and role model for me.

Luke, for being thrust into something he couldn't understand and just dove head first to fight for what he believed was right. To fight for needed justice and brought the Jedi's back to the Star Wars world.

Lastly to the person who was always overlooked, to the character who fought for his love. Although in the end Anakin Skywalker turned to the Darkside and became a cold-blooded killer, Darth Vader, he did all he could because of his love for Padame. It, in turn, broke everything for him and his love ultimately was his biggest downfall, but even once he turned to the Darkside he still had a shiver of love in his heart.

Like every tragic artist, Darth Vader is a symbol of change and hope, plus he's been through some rough shit and was still a badass who was loved by all, even when he killed all those baby padawans.

My love for Star Wars was always strong and for many years I found judgment for my sheer nerd love for the series. Star Wars was a way to connect with my grandfather and then how I connected with my step-dad. It's helped me have intellectual conversations through college thus far and I'm so glad that something that was created at the time my mother was a child is now continuing to be created as my younger siblings are in their first decade of life.

Star Wars will forever be a part of my life and my families and I thank this universe and George Lucas for such an amazing set of films to pass on for generations.