Bored? Let's start laughing.
Education

5 Stand-ups on Netflix you do not want to miss

Laughing counts as an ab workout, right?

165
Netflix Comedians You Need To See

In the last few years, I have discovered how much I love stand-up comedy. To me, no form of writing requires the skill that all talented comedians posses. Good comedy is captivating and relatable. Laughing with others is cathartic and somehow validating. Sometimes we need to poke fun at our own humanity. These comedians are up to the task.

1. John Mulaney - New in Town

Mulaney is an absolute favorite of mine. This is the first of several of his works that have ended up on Netflix. His stories are simultaneously outlandish and relatable. My family can quote each and every one of his bits verbatum. (Do not be put off by the weird sitcom-esque intro; it only gets better.)

2. Ali Wong - Hard Knock Wife

As an excellent pick for a ladies' movie night, Wong's second special on Netflix is perfection. Generally, I believe in beginning with the first, but this show made me laugh so hard that I cried. She is hilarious from start to finish. Her work is honest and sometimes gross. (Post-watching side note: I am highly considering getting a shirt that says "C'mon Gary.")

3. Mike Birbiglia - Thank God For Jokes

Who doesn't love a good Catholic school joke? I listened to this show, and I was cracking up the whole way. Birbiglia kind of feels like a guy who just wandered onto a stage and turned out to be quite the laugh. He's silly, unproblematic, and undeniably funny.

4. Hasan Minhaj - Homecoming King

Minhaj, the son of Indian parents, was born in the U.S. In this stand-up he makes the cultural guide between him and his parents endearing and, somehow, universally relatable. He isn't afraid to make fun of himself or address hard topics. He keeps you on your toes and keeps you laughing. Do not miss out on this gem.

5. James Acaster - Repertoire

I cannot deny it, but this four part show is a bit strange. Never afraid to be ridiculous, Acaster's series is something special. He utilizes sound, lighting, and color- making his stand-up seem more like a show. Delightfully British and full of dead-pan humor, you cannot miss out on this weird lovable dork.