United We Stand

United We Stand

"I'll rise up, in spite of the ache- I'll rise up, and I'll do it a thousand times again for you"

7
United We Stand

This is for you, in the midst of turmoil and hatred. This is for the ones who are singled out, and feel neglected and defeated. The situation in this country is scary right now, and it is very easy to feel like giving up would be the best option. It may feel like what they have to say is true, and it makes you feel like less of a you. But this is NOT the case. The positions we have in this world, whether its gender equality, race equality, LGBTQ equality, or any other rights we may have, have never been easily handed to us. Minorities will continue to be minorities, especially if we let the hatred in and let it crack our spirits and break us down. By giving up, or giving in, we perpetrate the hateful terms they call us and messages they send to us that we are not good enough, that we don't deserve to be treated as human beings, that our rights mean less. But I am here to remind you-the victims, as well as the perpetrators of hate-that we will not be silenced, and we will not stand by.

Watching as human rights and opportunities almost crumbled to the ground this week has been truly heartbreaking. It's difficult as a member of one of the targeted communities to feel safe and secure when people who are like you are being targeted and attacked. It's hard to have hope when everything seems so dark. But the strength of this country was not built by letting the challenges defeat us. There has always been a fight for what is right, and a fight for equality and justice. In the whole history of this country since we became a country, women have only had the right to vote for 96 years, out of 240 years. But all that time women were fighting and fighting until they got what they wanted, and what was fair. And that's exactly what we are going to continue to do. There is freedom and power in using your voice, and making people hear you. Fighting for basic human rights is extremely important. But we can't do it alone.

Facing it alone will feel impossible. But everyone stands together. We stand as a united force, against hatred, against oppression, against injustice and corruption. We will speak up and speak out. We will not hide in shame at the degradation and fear we may feel. We are as strong as the ancestors who fought for this country to be how it is today. If anything, we are even stronger. No one can take our fight away from us. If people say terrible things or do terrible things to us, we will fight back. We will protest and protect our friends and family and neighbors in this time of despair. Just because they say you are something, doesn't mean you have to submit to that belief. You are allowed to be who you are, love who you love, praise what you want, and feel proud of that. No one gets to take that away from you. Different is beautiful, different is interesting, and different is important. Don't let anyone take that away from you. You have so many people who love and support you, and will never let you feel alone in this battle against hatred.

This is not about politics, this is not about gender, race, class, sexuality, religion, or anything the sort. This is about having compassion in your heart, regardless of differences that may exist. This is about not stripping HUMAN BEINGS of the rights they fought long and hard for. This is about letting go of any pretenses and just being a decent person, with even little bit of compassion in your heart. I'm not saying everyone has to have the same opinions, of course everyone is welcome to their own opinions. However, racism, homophobia, misogyny, xenophobia, etc. are not the same thing as having your own opinion. These are constructs of society that are taught, not innate. People are not born to hate, they are taught it. While I can't really make my heart understand why people snap and suddenly feel like they get to stop being decent human beings, I will certainly not let it silence me or hold me back. America is one of the best countries in the world, and yet we are still so far from perfect. I will not stop fighting and defending the rights that we stand on presently in this country. I will not let my peers, neighbors, friends, or even strangers feel like they deserve to be treated as anything less than a human being, with a strong heart and a thoughtful mind and a passion for equality.

If you are being victimized, please don't think you ever did anything to deserve the treatment you may receive. Please don't think you are worth anything less than anyone else in the world. And please, please don't ever think you're alone. There are millions of people who support you and are willing to fight and stand up for this cause until the same equality and justice is given to everyone. Keep fighting and don't lose hope, and don't let anyone or anything silence you. There is power in your voice and the world needs to hear it. It isn't going to happen overnight, but any progress is still progress, no matter how long it takes. In the meantime, I pray that everyone stays safe, and I hope you don't get too discouraged. The world is what we make it, and we can truly make it beautiful.