Stages Of Receiving A "Low Account Balance" Notice

It happens to the best of us.

366

Stage One

It’s Thursday, and somehow, you managed to only spend $20 this week, so you’ve got money to blow. You and your friends decide to go out for dinner and drinks, that quickly turns into a party at 1 a.m. However, you’re lucky, because it just so happened that you didn’t miss happy hour at dinner, and you ended up at a $10 “All You Can Drink” after that. You dipped into your weekly allowance a tad, but nothing too serious. You check your account that night and see that you still have $40. #baller

Stage Two

It’s Friday morning and you’ve got a big day ahead of you. Late lunch with friends, then probably happy hour, then, if you’re really feeling ballsy, you’re headed out after that. By 5 p.m., that $40 has quickly turned into $30, and you’re stressed but not too worried. You know if there was ever a time to be frugal, this is it. You decide you’re going to cool it with the lunch specials and save your money for tonight.

Stage Three

Happy hour is in full swing and those giant drinks for only $5 are looking fantastic. You’ve got two down when you decide to check your bank account: $20. Bad, but could definitely be worse. You’re stressed but trying not to show it. Maybe you can text your mom tomorrow and beg for just $10 so you can efficiently make it through the weekend without your bank account dipping into the red.

Stage Four

You’re at home right after happy hour. You’re applauding yourself for making the good decision to go home and play it safe, especially if you want to have a fun Saturday. You go to bed content.

Stage Five

There’s a big basketball game today, so you wake up early to get everything done and get ready to get there early for good seats. You and your friends decide to walk to the game, because all of you are in the same boat with your funds. You make it in time and make it through an hour of the game before realizing you haven’t eaten today and you need that $6 hot dog from the concession stand. You’re now down to just $14, but you know there’s another $10 “All You Can Drink” tonight, so that’s definitely the move.

Stage Six

You went home to freshen up after the basketball game and took out $10 to pay for your cover tonight. With just $4 in your bank account you know you’re flirting with disaster, but you get more money on Monday and you’re convinced you won’t need that $4 tomorrow at all. Before you know it, it’s 12:05 a.m. and AYCD ended at 12:00 a.m., but you’re just not ready to go home yet. You put down your card for just ONE drink, but you quickly realize after the bartender runs your card that it’s a $10 minimum. You don’t want to text your mom at midnight to ask for money, that’s just embarrassing, so you brace yourself for what’s to come.

Stage Seven

It’s Sunday morning. You check your phone to see three texts. One from your friend: “Thanks so much for the fries last night, I’ll venmo you today!” One from your mom: “Are you kidding me?? Do you even know the value of a dollar??” And one from your bank: “Your account has reached a balance of -$13.65.” Yes, that’s NEGATIVE $13.65. That $80 you were looking forward to getting tomorrow to “use frugally throughout the week” just turned into $66.35, and the vicious cycle starts again.