11 Podcasts For The Spooky Season

11 Podcasts For The Spooky Season

Even though it is not quite October yet, get excited for the spooky season with these 11, nail-biting podcasts that are sure to keep you up at night.

84
11 Podcasts For The Spooky Season

.

1. "Lore" by Aaron Mahnke 

My personal favorite! This podcast explores the darker side of history, uncovering that sometimes the truth is more frightening than fiction. Plus, Aaron Mahnke's narrations are spot-on.

2. "Haunted Places" by Parcast Network 

This podcast explores how, and why, a normal place can become a paranormal hub. The sound effects add an exciting depth to each of the stories.

3. "Generation Why" by Wondery

This podcast is perfect for true-crime junkies. Aaron and Justin divulge into some of the post popular crimes (e.g. the Central Park Five and the Zodiac Killer) and give their theories/opinions on unsolved murders.

4. "Stranglers" by Stitcher

13 people were sexually assaulted and strangled to death in Boston between 1962 and 1964. Albert DeSalvo, a local handyman, confessed to the crimes and went to jail. However, 54 years later, some facts still don't add up....

5. "The Black Tapes" by Pacific Northwest Stories

Hosted by fictional character Alex Reagan, this podcast is a serialized docudrama that follows the strange life of Dr. Richard, a ghost hunter who ironically does not believe in ghosts.

6. "The Bowery Boys: New York City History" by Bowery Boys Media

Even though not all the episodes are spooky, it is interesting to learn about all the crazy things that have been happening in New York over time. Hint: some are pretty freaking wild.

7. "Quiet, Please" by Wyllis Cooper and Ernest Chappell

This podcast is the OG scary story teller. The dramatic narration WILL give you the heebie-jeebies.

8. "The Apex & The Abyss" by The Apex & The Abyss

Narrated by a woman named Erika, this podcast follows the true crime tale of Arthur Shawcross, better known as The Genessee River Killer. He was a morbid, cannibalistic serial killer who committed his crimes between 1972 and 1989.

9. "Heaven's Gate" by Glynn Washington 

This podcasts follows the cult, Heaven's Gate, and the eventual mass suicide of its members. WARNING: Don't listen to this alone or at night.

10. "The Message" by Nicky Tomalin 

This podcasts follows a team of cybersecurity personnel (a.k.a. cypher cryptologists) who are working to decode a message sent from outer space over 70 years ago.

And, last but surely not least...

11. "Serial" by Sarah Koenig 

Another one of my favorites, this investigative journalism podcast narrates a non-fiction event over the course of several episodes. The podcast currently has two seasons, twenty three episodes total. Season one, The Alibi, follows a murder case, while season two, follows a U.S. Army officer who leaves his post and goes out into the eastern Afghanistan desert.