Spontaneity is The Best Coping Mechanism From College

Freshman me wouldn't spontaneously take a day trip to San Diego and she was wrong.

2
DAM

If you're not used to approaching life with an innate sense of adventure and wonder, it can be a surprisingly difficult habit to get into, and your attempts to break with habit and convention can feel forced and nerve-wracking.

Though happiness is a fleeting concept, having a mindset that allows you to always see the bright side of things certainly will optimize your ability to keep a positive outlook.

Being spontaneous also comes with being responsible, and you have to be adaptive to the environment you put yourself in. Learning to trust yourself in any situation is an important skill; overthinking will only result in limiting yourself.

The benefits of being the most spontaneous you are keeping your mind sharp, experiencing less stress, finding inspiration anywhere, having to force yourself outside your comfort zone, and allowing you to experience beauty you may have never been able.

No premeditation, no plans, no expectations, just running with the wind and picking up speed along the way.

This past long weekend, my friends and I made an impulsive decision to hop on a bus to San Diego and just explore as much as we could for that one day. It was fantastic, scary, and exhilarating. Thinking about how we got there made me realize how unwilling I would have been to do the same during my freshman year and before that.

Coming to college and being able to be around so many people and so many different experiences have exposed me to be less rigid and step out of my comfort zone.

The final hurdle that stands in the way of spontaneity for many of us is the idea that we need to wait for the "perfect" time to do what we wish to do.

There is no perfect time to do anything and there is not going to be, you simply must make time for something that you want to do because YOLO right?

Scheduling your day can be therapeutic but so can be spontaneous, when you are someone that is very by the schedule then stepping out of your comfort zone to be spontaneous, first you will feel uncomfortable but then will find a sense of freedom in the unscheduled.

When stepping out of your plan to try something different that will use your brain in a new way this will spark a new form of creativity. Being creative is different for everyone but I do think that getting the creative juices flowing takes just creating and waiting for that idea in a spontaneous moment.

When you try something new on the fly it opens to new opportunities which can be so strong that just that alone will build your confidence. You can gain so much from trying something new and spontaneous even if you fail. That is going to be what builds your confidence, that is where the magic happens.

The lesson here is that no matter what it is you really want to do, the time to get started is now. There is no wrong moment to have a novel experience, no wrong moment to start to really live… So get out there and learn to make the unfamiliar, familiar. Your brain, body, and soul will thank you for it.