10 Reasons Why All 'SpongeBob' Fans Would Love 'The SpongeBob Musical'

When I first walked into the theater to take my seat, I felt like I had literally been transported to Bikini Bottom.

474
Instagram

As a resident New Yorker who tries to keep my finger on the pulse of new Broadway shows, I've been fortunate enough to see some fantastic shows on Broadway over the past few years. There's the Ben Platt hype machine Dear Evan Hansen, which did indeed live up to the hype, the tearjerking and heartfelt Come From Away, and the incredible spectacle that was The Great Comet.

However, I can honestly say that my most enjoyable theatrical experience in recent memory came from seeing an entirely different show altogether, one that tapped into many treasured nostalgic memories from my childhood. This show, ladies and gentlemen, was SpongeBob Squarepants: The Broadway Musical. I'm not kidding. For all of you theater purists and skeptics out there, sit tight and give this show a chance, because it really was an absolute joy to watch in so many respects.

1. It slips in well-placed references to beloved lines from the show

For those wondering, the story of the musical is entirely original and is not recycled from a previous movie or episode plot. However, this wouldn't be a SpongeBob musical without at least some audience pandering, and luckily there are several well-timed lines that draw exactly from old SpongeBob episodes. Some are lines of dialogue, others are song lyrics, but they all reminded me exactly why I was so excited to see this show in the first place.

2. The set is a fantastical underwater wonderland that really gets your ~imagination~ going

When I first walked into the theater to take my seat before the show, I felt like I had literally been transported to Bikini Bottom. There are colors galore, light, sparkles, and Macgyver-esque attachments to the side of the proscenium, among many other set elements, that all contributed to this feeling of a magical oasis. If SpongeBob isn't at least nominated for best set design at the Tonys come this June, I'll be seriously disappointed.

3. The characters look like real people who perfectly embody the essence of their cartoon alter-egos

Some die-hard fans may see this as a negative, but I'm of the opinion that with the way it's currently costumed, the musical has much wider appeal to audiences that may not be as obsessed with SpongeBob as some. It also leaves room for the actors to give the characters their own unique personality and expression, which helps create a theatrical experience that stands on its own and is not a caricature.

4. The songs, while diverse in sound, are all individually excellent

I'll admit, upon a first listen I was not bowled over by the songs from the show in their actual show context. However, the Chicago cast recording on its own is a wonderful, uplifting listen. The show is filled with songs written by everyone from David Bowie to Aerosmith to Lady Antebellum, yet they all somehow hold together with that cheery signature SpongeBob spirit.

5. Squidward's costume alone is Tony-worthy

This one sort of speaks for itself. How can you argue with the genius minds that conceived of these four-legged pants that are so well constructed, I can barely discern which are the real legs and which are the fake ones. And when Squidward tap dances using all four legs later in the show, it's really a sight to see. I can't say exactly what I expected Squidward's costume to look like, but I do know that this exceeded my expectations.

6. Unlike in the later seasons of SpongeBob, Sandy is actually a main character in the musical

I can't be the only SpongeBob fan who is a little disappointed that Sandy is barely in most of the later episodes of SpongeBob, seeing as she's such a lively, fun character who is integral to the plot in many of the earlier SpongeBob episodes. Upon seeing the musical, I was pleasantly surprised that Sandy was on stage almost as much as SpongeBob was, and definitely more of a central figure than Patrick or Squidward. Without spoiling the plot of the show, I'll say that I really appreciate how Sandy's intelligence is a major factor in how the show progresses. Girl/squirrel power at its finest!

7. The choreography is spirited, exciting, and absolutely an asset to the show itself.

I'm not really surprised that the choreography for this show is so good, seeing as it's done by Christopher Gatelli, the same guy that produced Tony-winning choreography for Newsies and many other Broadway shows. He does a phenomenal job here of delivering choreography that makes sense within the SpongeBob universe, yet is also impactful on a Broadway stage. Once again, I'll be really surprised if SpongeBob isn't nominated for a Tony for best choreography, and yes, I think it should win.

8. Like the original cartoon, the musical does not shy away from the absurd

One of my favorite things about the original SpongeBob is how ridiculous it is. The premise of the show, with talking sea creatures in an underwater city, is already absurd enough, but many of the show's most memorable moments come from clever animation that cuts away from the scene's main action or contorts the character's faces into amusing expressions. Though obviously, the live musical has some limitations on how unrealistic it can be, I think it does a wonderful job of capturing the absurd magic that made the original show so memorable.

9. SpongeBob and Patrick's friendship is just as endearing on stage as it is in the original cartoon

Besides SpongeBob and Sandy teaming up to save the day, one of my favorite things about the SpongeBob musical was how much fun it was to watch SpongeBob and Patrick together on stage. Whether they were celebrating their friendship through song, conspiring to get Squidward's attention, or just annoying everyone around them, SpongeBob and Patrick were truly the goofy, lovable dynamic duo, though here in pseudo-human form, as I remember them being from the show.

10. Ethan Slater plays a perfect SpongeBob that's as lovable, optimistic, and friendly as the beloved cartoon character

Of course, you can't have a SpongeBob musical without a good SpongeBob, and luckily this show managed to find the absolutely perfect actor to play SpongeBob. Though Slater is obviously a human person, he manages to perfectly capture SpongeBob's square spongey charm and iconic mannerisms, all while singing like an angel. This show is anchored by many strong supporting characters, but as one would hope, SpongeBob is truly the star here.

All in all, if you happen to be in New York and you're looking to see a show that's funny, heartwarming, lighthearted, and an all-around good time, look no further than The SpongeBob Musical. It's a treat for fans, and hopefully a pleasant surprise for non-fans. Even if you go in with low expectations, it just might turn out to be the best day ever.