Speaking Up On Sexual Health

Protect Yourself And Speak Up About Sexual Health

Everybody assumes they are safe, until they aren't anymore. Protect yourself, and break the silence around sexual health topics.

132

Sexual health is a topic that everybody needs to become more comfortable with speaking about. In today's society, especially the younger population, it seems as though everybody is equally on board with not wanting to catch an STD, but the conversations about getting checked and condoms seem to be an intimidating topic for most.

Studies show that only 52% of college students actually use condoms during intercourse, yet the estimation of students affected by STDs is 1 in 4. This means that many students and young adults are learning the consequences the hard way. Another study shows that 80% of people with an STD show little to no symptoms at all.

This is where the topic gets scary. People seem to feel uncomfortable walking into a local clinic or primary care doctor and asking to simply get checked. If this is the case, the thought of asking your partner to get checked prior to sex is probably even more nerve-wracking to some.

As a girl, most of us are on some form of birth control, so students are cautious of the repercussions of sex in relations to reproducing, but the same precautions do not seem to be as important when it comes to diseases and infections. Rather, the stigma behind protection from children is a lot less daunting than your sexual health.

With 19 million new cases of sexually transmitted diseases being reported each year and 50% of those being in the 18-24-year-old age range, something needs to break this stigma.

The conversation needs to be had, the defensiveness needs to be dropped when you or a partner is asked to get checked, and the tension needs to be broken. Getting checked every 3-6 months is and should be normalized.

I \f you are grown enough to have sex, you should feel grown enough to protect yourself from the realities and possible consequences out there in the world. Everybody assumes they are safe until they aren't anymore. Protect yourself and break the silence around sexual health topics.