“A Spark of Light” By Jodi Picoult Book Review

'A Spark Of Light' Is Just The Book We Need To Help Us Navigate Both Sides Of The Abortion Debate

A spoiler free review of Jodi Picoult's “A Spark of Light."

305
Emily Motta

Abortion is a heavy topic in American politics today. Now, you're probably expecting me to cram my own personal views on abortion down your throat because that's what usually happens when people talk about it, but that's not what I'm here to do today. The reason I bring up abortion in the first place is that I want to talk about Jodi Picoult's new novel, “A Spark of Light," which was released October 2, 2018.

Now, if you haven't heard of Jodi Picoult, then you must be living under some kind of rock (kidding). But if you've heard of “My Sister's Keeper," then you're familiar with her work since she wrote the novel that the movie starring Cameron Diaz is based on (and the novel is far superior to the movie and has a better ending, but that's a story for another time).

Many might say that Picoult writes women's literature, but that's simply not true. The novels by Jodi Picoult touch on a wide range of issues that affect everyone; therefore, they're for everyone. She leaves no stone unturned and nothing is off limits when she's covering a wide range of issues that affect our world — from a school shooting to the death penalty to racism to LGBTQ+ rights to abortion.

You could say that she's the master of realistic fiction, not only because she focuses on issues that affect our society and real life, but also because the characters at the heart of these stories could be real people who are composed of many shades of gray.

This brings me to “A Spark of Light." A novel concerning women's rights and abortion couldn't be more timely with the abortion debate still raging as hot as ever, even 25 years after Roe v. Wade.

Now, Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite authors. So, as soon as I heard that her latest book was being released on October 2nd, I knew I had to get it as soon as possible. And it was definitely worth the hour round trip on RTA from CSU to University Circle (because both the Healthline and Red Line are always late) and the two times I almost got hit by a car (the one guy was going like 70 in the bus lane, despite not being a bus, and the other guy couldn't wait to make a right turn even though I had the right away).

“A Spark of Light" follows the lead up to a shooting and hostage situation in the Center, the last abortion clinic in Mississippi. Starting at 5 p.m., which is the end of the standoff between the gunman and the police, it works backwards to 8 a.m., following the characters throughout that day, looking at their reasons for being in the clinic, and how the situation unfolded — as well as revealing not only the gunman's reasoning for being at the Center but also how the B plot, so to say, of a young girl facing criminal charges for an illegal abortion ties into the situation at the Center.

The novel focuses on both sides of the issue in many ways, with both pro-choice and pro-life characters, as well as characters whose views on abortion are never explicitly stated. And both sides are represented by characters inside the clinic (slight spoiler, but the gunman is not the only pro-life character inside the Center). And what makes this novel great is that it never tells you which side is right and which side is wrong, but instead, it shows that the issue is much more complex than it seems.

As with most debates, it can be hard to see where the other side is coming from. I mean, we only know our own motivations, not anyone else's. But that is why it is important to have both sides of the issue presented in a light that reflects reality — so we can see why the other side feels the way they do. And “A Spark of Light" does exactly that.

Even though this novel hasn't changed my view on abortion, I do have a better understanding of the “Pro-Life" movement from their perspective. At the end of the day, we have to remember that the people caught up in the pro-life and pro-choice movement are people and each one has their own motivations for why they firmly believe in their side.

I don't want to spoil the book, but I think one of the parts that stand out most is an exchange between Dr. Louie Ward, the abortion provider at the Center, and Allen, a pro-life protestor who stands outside the Center every day. It stands out for many reasons that I don't want to spoil, but the most striking part is when Allen tells Louie, “You make it very hard to hate you, Dr. Ward," and Louie replies, “That's the point brother. That's the point."

That is the point.

“A Spark of Light" is a novel that we truly need right now. Everyone, no matter what side of the debate they're on, needs to read this novel. It, like so many of Jodi Picoult's other novels, is an eye-opener when it comes to a controversial issue facing our world and shows the many shades of gray that exist in people, even though the law is black and white.

I can guarantee that this is one book that you won't want to put down. It will have you questioning your values and beliefs, as well as having you empathize with and see the humanity in all of the characters.

“A Spark of Light" is a definite must-read for all.