5 Southern Fast Food Chains Every Northerner Needs to Try

It's a fast food culture shock moving to the South.

207

As someone who grew up in the North and really only stuck to the typical Wendy’s, McDonald's and Burger King — I went into a bit of a culture shock when moving to the South. There is such a large variety of fast food restaurants that change the game. Whether you’re stopping for a quick meal on a road trip, or you have moved to the South and are unsure about all the fried chicken they have to offer, it’s good to know your options.

Here are a few of my favorites:

1. Zaxby's

Okay, so yes breaded chicken is not a new concept but Zaxby’s has somehow perfected it. It’s always crispy, hot, and delicious and their crinkle fries are a gift to the world. They serve buttered texas toast on the side, their sweet tea is so sweet you can feel the sugar clogging your veins, and don’t even get me started on the Zak’s sauce. I’m not even sure how to describe it except for saying it’s the best part of Zaxby’s.

2. Moe’s Southwest Grill

If you like watching people make your food so you can tell them exactly how much or how little of something to put on it AND you like burritos, then Moe’s is the place for you. It’s like Subway for Mexican food. Their queso is 10x better than Chipotle’s sad attempt and they also have way more topping options (Chipotle Ranch, yes please). You get free chips and access to a salsa bar with every meal.

3. Bojangles’s

Bojangles’s has the best fries in the fast food business. Their seasoning is amazing and honestly, it’s probably made up of 98% of your daily sodium intake but totally worth it. They combine fast food chicken and fries with good ‘ol homecooked fixin’s like green beans, mashed potatoes, and mac n’ cheese. Their biscuits are so delicious, their sweet tea to die for, and they offer frosted blueberry biscuits for breakfast.

4. Chick-fil-a

If you’ve done your independent research on these food chains I’m listing, you probably assume I have a weird thing for fast food chicken but hear me out. Chick-fil-a has single-serve ketchup containers that you can peel back and dip your fries in for on the go dining, amazing waffle fries, every sauce flavor you could imagine, and always fresh lemonade. Not to mention the best customer service of any fast food chain around — every time you say thank you to an employee for anything, they reply “my pleasure.”

5. What-a-Burger

Google “Witch Doctor at What-a-Burger” and then go get one. You’re welcome.