Joining A Sorority Wasn't For Me, And That's OK

Just because I chose a different path, doesn't mean that it wasn't a hard decision.

430

I went back and forth for weeks as the deadline to sign up approached. The thought of making hundreds of new friends excited me, but also overwhelmed me.

Was it worth it? The money, time obligation and stress of not being accepted.

This was my first big decision as a college student and I wanted to make sure I chose the right path. My fear was that if I didn’t join a sorority I wouldn’t make any friends and would be always asked why I didn’t (which inevitably happens).

Every time I meet someone new, the first question they ask is if I’m in a sorority. My response is always in the same unapologetic tone as I let them know that I decided not to.

Not because I’m completely against the idea of having a sisterhood that I could rely on, but that I just didn’t see myself in a sorority.

Now, I’m not going to lie and act like I never second-guessed my decision, but I don’t regret choosing to not follow the norm. I proved to myself that I am capable of making friends without being presented with friendships from a sorority.

I lack the letters and sisterhood that would link me to a sorority, but it doesn’t mean that I lack the positive college experience that we all strive for. I’m lucky enough to have friends that are both involved in a sorority and not involved.

While it may have seemed like a big deal in the beginning, I learned that in the end, no one cares what sorority you’re in but rather what you are doing to become the best version of yourself.

Just because I’m not involved doesn’t mean that I bash those who decided that the sorority life is for them.

I respect their decision because it may have meant something bigger to them, something that I don’t understand and that’s okay.