15 Songs I Grew Up Listening To, As A Southerner

Great music is something all kids should grow up on.

Though I may be apart of a generation whose music choices stem from a technological point of view, doesn't mean that I don't know what good music consists of. Learning songs from the 60s all the way to the 00s, my childhood had a pretty strong foundation for musical interests.

1. Renegade by Styx

Growing up, this song reminded me of alien abductions and honestly freaked me out to the point that I loved it.

2. Anything by Bon Jovi

Bon Jovi, in the Mills' household, was considered hymns, not hairband.

3. "Anything" Journey

For my 18th birthday, I got to see Journey with their new lead singer in Birmingham, and my eight-year-old self was thriving.

4. "Your Love" by The Outfield

All I can remember from my childhood with this song is my dad randomly belting out "Josie's on a vacation far away." Come to think of it, he actually still does that to this very day.

5. "Jessie's Girl" by Rick Springfield

This one is a good headbanger on the way to your summer weekend softball tournament in Florida. Anyone else?

6. "Mr. Mom" by Lonestar

Even though I knew every word to this song, I never understood what it actually meant. Now that I have a younger niece and nephews, it hits home.

7. "Picture" by Cheryl Crow and Kid Rock

I didn't have anything, or anyone, to be sad about as a seven-year-old, but this song could make me rethink all of my life choices.

8. "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Okay, if your parents didn't teach you this, and if you didn't know all of the words by the time you went to your first Alabama football game, you're not southern. End of discussion.

9. "Help!" by The Beatles

My mom's favorite band is The Beatles, so knowing pretty much any of their music was inevitable for my childhood, this one just happened to stick with me. Fun fact: I share a birthday with Ringo Starr.

10. "Paint Me A Birmingham" by Tracy Lawerence

My dad always serenaded me in the truck with this one, and even though I may have rolled my eyes at him, I look back on those times now and miss when we spent that time together.

11. "You've Got It (The Right Stuff)" by New Kids On The Block

This music video taught me how to dance, and also taught me how to fall in love with Donnie Wahlberg.

12. "Not Ready To Make Nice" by The Dixie Chicks

I didn't have much to be pissed at growing up, but this song made me want to scream my lungs out while jumping on the trampoline in the backyard.

13. "Girls Girls Girls" by Mötley Crüe

I learned this one at my youngest age, I'm talking car seat age, but that didn't stop my parents from teaching me the wonders of hairbands from the 80s.

14. "Fat Bottom Girls" by Queen

Queen is a 70s band that inspired most of the 80's I grew up on, and this song, in particular, taught me the importance of them.

15. "End Of The Road" by Boyz II Men

Boyz II Men has to be one of my dad's favorite groups, and his high school go-to, so naturally, it was something I grew up on.

As a southerner, I think it's important to make sure you get all of the hits in - from R&B to Country - while you're growing up, so new generations can remember what great music sounds like.