2017 Song Reviews By Sophie

2017 Song Reviews By Sophie

What's going on

55
2017 Song Reviews By Sophie
Flickr

Disclaimer = All in good fun

Music may not be a language, but a form of expression, of communication and discourse that is able to reach out and illustrate individual messages to every human.

Similar to any media, its power is immeasurable due to the consistently internalized messages that blanket the masses tuning in. The top artists of this era are raking the millions ($) for their introspective wanderings, technically intricate melodies, and passionate dedication to the transcendence of humble music-making.

It’s no wonder their climb to the top tier of society has filled their lives with honorable experiences which are reflected in the lyrics that give us a slivering peek into their modest existence and invaluable advice.

These sages of 2017 have risen to the top and released the poetic philosophy that dominates our radios, media, and idea of success and happiness in the modern world. Let’s take a journey through some of the masterpieces of the past year.

1. "I’m The One" - DJ Khaled (ft. Justin Bieber, Quavo, Lil Wayne, Chance the Rapper)

"I’m The One", an instant internet sensation, was created by DJ Khaled and mysteriously performed by everyone except DJ Khaled; quite a courteous move on his part. Luckily, he slapped his name on the song and introduces himself as soon as it starts so listeners weren’t profoundly confused about whose song it actually is.

This enchanting piece is dramatically enhanced by the visual experience of its music video counterpart. The audio-visual combo provides the globe’s average Joe a glimpse into an existence that will eternally remain out of their penniless, underprivileged reach. A depiction of success that’s defined by beautiful, half-naked women riding stallions on a beachfront property.

The overarching message, expressed in the title, is that all of these men are “the one”. Unfortunately, we never actually find out why. I guess we’re supposed to be swayed by the fact that “the money never lie, no”. Nefarious wealth never looked so well-spent, thanks to DJ Khaled for putting that hard-earned cash to good use.

2. "Strip That Down" - Liam Payne (ft. Quavo)

The top charts are not without a modern day Shakespeare. When it comes to lyrics of love, this previously inexplicable sensation has suddenly attained pristine mental clarity thanks to Liam Payne. His work of emotional art, Strip That Down, illustrates his tender, unique experience of finding love in a club.

Payne starts off his passionate thought journey by stating his predatory instincts towards his female prey, the “prize” he intends to capture. In order to accomplish this, he must instruct his woman of choice to strip for him. It’s rather ambiguous whether he wants it done in the club right then and there or later on, as he doesn’t specify, so I guess that’s left up to the listener for interpretation.

At this point in the song, I imagine him morphing into some type of hunchback, rodent-human hybrid, foaming at the mouth while his muscles ripple underneath his half-buttoned shirt. Staying on track with the actions of specified female, he limits her choices to only dancing with him and demands that she lay her hands upon his body.

Some might label the contrasting claim of love and forceful commands as misogynistic, however, I think Payne’s message goes deeper. His plea for a good lady grind is a metaphor for her brain to grind all up on his in order to share an intimate and lasting connection.

3. "Fetish" - Selena Gomez (ft. Gucci Mane)

Watching Selena Gomez shove her tongue into an eyelash curler throughout this music video seemingly transports you to an alternate reality where female performers are sex objects instead of sex objects. Gomez wilds out in Fetish which is not really what I was expecting with a song called Fetish.

As she intensely stares into the camera, the viewers get the chance to peer into her soul and understand the nature of her existence. What’s that you might ask? That she’s hot as shit, especially when she’s wet, dirty, and eating mysterious gelatinous substances.

Her lyrics are lovingly forgiving of her suitor’s fetishization. Actually, there are in fact two definitions of fetish, so you’re probably wondering which one she meant. Well, I’m here to tell you, it’s the 2nd one: “an inanimate object worshiped for its supposed magical powers or because it is considered to be inhabited by a spirit.” This might seem misguided, as Gomez is not an inanimate object, she’s a person, however, that’s art, it’s symbolically descriptive.

This interpretation of fetish is illustrating to the listeners that her being is comparable to that of an object, badabing badaboom -- objectification. What lives inside? A carnivorous, snarl-toothed warrior from ancient Rome who claws and begs to be released through any means possible, including creating auto-tuned music about fetishization as a cry for help. Listen to the messages our artists are telling us.