Why I (Sometimes) Need My Alone Time

Why I (Sometimes) Need My Alone Time

Yes, I really do want to stay home on a Friday night.

14
Why I (Sometimes) Need My Alone Time
Yoanu

I'm not cold or antisocial. I am not stuck-up. I don't hate you. I am an introvert.

The psychiatrist Carl Jung first described personalities as falling into one of two categories: extroversion or introversion. According to VeryWell, "People who are introverted tend to be inward turning, or focused more on internal thoughts, feelings and moods rather than seeking out external stimulation." Extroverts are the opposite, seeking fulfillment in their external environment. Like most categories, no one falls exclusively into one group (it is more of a continuum), but it is certainly easy to relate to one category more than the other. In fact, the introvert and extrovert categories are used as part of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI).

Since I fall more into the introvert category, I have some traits that come with the label such as, self-awareness, thoughtfulness, interest in self-knowledge, concealment of emotions and reservation around unfamiliar people.

It took me a long time to accept that it is normal to want to be alone sometimes. I do have very close friends, but a small number of them. Quality over quantity, right? I am picky about who I choose to confide in.

People might judge me as antisocial because I rarely participate in large groups. Instead, I observe. I learn best by listening to others. Small talk bores me, but I will be happy to discuss religion or philosophy with you.

I enjoy a high level of independence, so my phone might not vibrate for hours on end. It is not because I have no desire to communicate with anyone - it is only because I tend to rely more on myself. I promise I am interested in you. My feelings are just internalized.

Carl Jung also proposed that introverts are very likely to marry extroverts and vice versa. I am dating an extrovert, which is simultaneously exhausting and refreshing.

Interestingly enough, one of the recommended highly-independent jobs for introverts is writing. Go figure.

I am engaging. I am interesting and passionate. I am self-sufficient. I am loving. I am happy. I am also an introvert.