Someone Told Me To Kill Myself

Someone Told Me To Kill Myself

We must stop online bullying

1366
Someone Told Me To Kill Myself
parents.kernhigh

Bullying has been part of recorded human history but with the rise of social media, bullying can be hidden behind anonymity without repercussions. There is no excuse for how some people treat others and as an online community we should not allow others to get away with their abuse.

There was an incident that made me realize how viscous a person could be. I decided to write an article about the experience to stand up for myself and give others courage in standing up for themselves; and, to show that shaming someone is never an ok response to what you believe is untrue.

I have an online dating profile and an Australian guy direct messaged me on my Instagram account. He wanted to hang out but before meeting people from online I Skype with them. The video conversation lasted one minute before he hung up on me. After hearing my accent he asked where I was from, which is understandable. My accent has a slight English twinge to it but I was born and raised in The United States of America. I explained the reason behind my accent and he proceeded to call me fake and immature. I have posted his transcript below.

1) "You were attractive until you spoke"

I was in shock because this had never happened to me before. If I were lying why wouldn't I lie about my nationality?

2) "Answer the question"

He still wanted to meet me after his hateful disregard of my the way I spoke. I did not feel safe in giving him my whereabouts.

3) "I'm a globally respected photographer"

Then, that should be all the more reason to be nicer to people.

4) "Speak to me like an adult"

It's funny he wanted an adult conversation yet held the temperament of a child. There is one thing to not believe someone but no need to ridicule and embarrass a person.

5) "Kill yourself"

Had my accent been an issue for me or my self-confidence lacking then maybe I would have attempted to take my own life.

6) "Can you suicide loser"

A British friend of mine was appalled by his messages and found his Instagram to defend me. They did not ridicule or call him names but stated facts about the disorder my childhood self endured.

"We focus so much on our differences, and that is creating, I think, a lot of chaos and negativity and bullying in the world. And I think if everybody focused on what we all have in common - which is - we all want to be happy." ~ Ellen DeGeneres