The Solution To Coming Together and Healing

23
NTFcreative

With the aftermath of this election looking similar to the aftermath of an earthquake, it is clear to anyone even a tad in tune with American politics that we live in a country divided. A recurring theme in the American political discussion over the last year in a half was undeniably centered around racism in the United States, and it looks as though there are no signs of it stopping following the election of business mogul, Donald Trump.

I don't believe that this problem stems from Trump being elected. In my eyes, the race problem has been a problem for years. But let's point out something that many on the left are too afraid to admit: During the Obama administration, race relations have not improved. In fact, some could even argue that they've gotten worse, but I don't blame Obama for this. Actually, I don't blame any elected official. I blame those who are genuinely racist. There are white people who are racist, there are also blacks who are racist, same with Mexicans, and every other race. The biggest perplexity is that we want to look at racism and say "well, maybe if white people weren't racist then we wouldn't have racism." This is completely false, there are members of all races that clearly despise other races for no other reason than the color of their skin.

If this doesn't prove the argument that racism exists in all cultures, then I don't know what does. Let me be clear: yes, you could easily find tweets from white people that could say much worse, I wouldn't deny that. But wouldn't we agree that this tweet doesn't represent all blacks? Just like not all whites are racist, not all Hispanics are racist, etc. One of the biggest problems I observe is that people like to paint a group of people with a broad brush. The first step to bringing together a divided nation is to realize that we are all to blame, we are all a part of the problem. The optimistic news is, we can all be a part of the solution.

The solution is easier said than done, but far from impossible. We have to come together and realize who we voted for or supported doesn't equate to who we are as a people. If you're someone who says "I will never look at you the same if you voted for (insert candidate's name)," then YOU ARE THE PROBLEM. We have to be mature enough to realize this and instead we choose not to. Another way we can fix the problem is bu having open discussions on how to improve race relations, instead of having arguments, shouting matches, or fights to try to prove our point. Think about it this way: say you did something that your parent didn't agree with, what manner of discussion leads to a peaceful resolution between you and them? Yelling, screaming and hurling degrading comments, or sitting down and speaking in a diplomatic way? I think we chose the first option of this scenario when we should have chosen the second, more peaceful option.

Another way to look at this is how Martin Luther King Jr. handled the problem of racism during the Civil Rights era. In all my years of schooling, I have never seen any type of historical facts or data that show MLK would go around and yell at people and try to degrade them, with the hopes of getting people to join his side. Instead, he recruited people by talking and using peaceful words and peaceful actions. Personally, if you were to have a peaceful conversation on any issue I would be more than happy to sit there and talk to you. I have many African American friends that I have sat and talked to that have proved their points without having to degrade me for my views, and I've done the same.

I've also learned to grow and mature my views by being able to peacefully talk to others. When I look on social media and see those on the left and the right say about those who don't agree with them, I tend to laugh. It's like we have this idea that if we call people terrible names, they'll end up supporting our party/candidate. Do you truly believe if you call someone a "sexist, bigot, racist, etc." that they will end up agreeing with you? Name calling only further divides us. It would be like you trying to make friends and saying "you're ugly, fat, and annoying" and then finishing with "but let's be friends".

I hope that this piece has made those of all colors think differently and more rationally on how to solve the race problems we have in this country. Like I said previously, we might all be a part of the problem, but if we simply stop degrading others that don't agree and we open a dialogue that is peaceful, then I think we can truly become a nation together.