How To Achieve The 'Soft Goth' Look

How To Achieve The 'Soft Goth' Look

If you like edgy clothes but are too lazy and broke to show up to your 8 AMs in a corset dress with a fully beat face, read on.

7165
instagram.com/amatiaraisonline
instagram.com/amatiaraisonline

Ever since my 8th grade emo phase, I've been obsessed with all things macabre. Not only is pretty much everything I wear black, but I adore The Cure, I can't leave my dorm without eyeliner, and there's no way I'm spending a drunken night with friends without pulling out my tarot cards. Do I know everything about the subculture? No. But I have taken much inspiration from it over the years, and refined my style into what I call "soft goth": a casual blend of dark clothes and make up that doesn't require much work or money and still allows my friends to spot me from a mile away. It's a little more refined and romantic than 2013 Tumblr's infamous "soft grunge" phase, but interpret how you wish. Based on the mostly positive reactions I've gotten, I feel like it's appropriate for me to share my wisdom with all you goth-curious folks out there.

1. Shop at thrift stores

A lot of people think dressing this way has to be expensive - but it absolutely doesn't! Most of the clothes in my wardrobe are from thrift stores, which I love because you can find some really cool pieces that no one else has. A few months ago I found a super cute corset top I wear all the time, and more recently I found a dope faux leather jacket for $10 at a thrift store in my hometown. Also, places like Goodwill usually color coordinate their T-shirt section, so if you're looking for cool band or logo shirts it's not that hard to find something you like. And another thrifting tip? If you see something black with a cool material but, it's terribly designed, don't be afraid to get out your scissors! There's a heavy emphasis on DIYing in punk fashion.

2. Spend time in clearance sections online and in-store for specific pieces

Dying for a pair of pleather pants but can't find any at your local Salvation Army? No worries, you can probably find some in the clearance section! Since it's not a look that always appeals to the general public, edgier pieces from large retailers seem to go on sale often. If you're shopping in store you'll have to spend a little more time searching, since a lot of it is obviously junk. But I can't tell you how many times I've stepped into Forever 21 or the LF Outlet on a whim and found a perfect addition to my closet, without breaking my bank account.

3. Dolls Kill

If you're reading this article, you've probably heard of Dolls Kill, and if you haven't you've definitely seen someone on Instagram rocking their clothes. But for those of you who haven't, Dolls Kill is an online store that specializes in alternative clothing. Some of their stuff can get pretty pricey, but the reason I mention them is because they have an amazing shoe section. You can find a lot of punk and goth shoes on there for under $50 - I just got a pair of combat boots on sale for $30 and I've been wearing them everyday.

4. Mix materials

So now you've got your clothes, and it's time to figure out how to style them. It's a well known fashion trick to wear a variety of different materials when you're rocking a monochrome look, especially in black. For example, let's say you want to keep it casual and put on your favorite pair of black jeans. I'd pair them with a mesh top (that I got on clearance from Forever 21 for $9), a black teddy jacket (Zaful, $20), and leather platform boots (Dolls Kill, $50) and call it a day. Or, a Monster logo T-shirt (Goodwill, $2) a long-sleeve striped shirt underneath (Goodwill, $6) and my aforementioned combat boots. See how easy this is?

5. Winged eyeliner and tattoo stamps are a must

Can't be bothered to put on Siouxsie Sioux's signature eyeliner look everyday? No problem! With enough practice you can bust out a cat-eye in 2 minutes, and don't be afraid to amp up the look with a tattoo stamp - applying it is effortless. What's harder than a face tatt? I use ELF liquid eyeliner ($2) and the MILK star tattoo stamp ($12, but the amount of old people that think you'll actually have a tattoo on your face make it completely worth it).

6. Get a matte brown liquid lipstick

Now I know you might be thinking, why not a black lipstick? Well you can absolutely go out and find one for relatively cheap, but chances are you probably already have a bunch of lipsticks in your possession that you might not be using. My advice is to get a matte brown one (I use the L'oreal Infallible Pro Matte Liquid Lipstick in the color "Box O Chocolate" that actually smells like chocolate) and mix it with a color you already have. This typically works best with purples, pinks and reds, but it will darken up the color just enough to match your aesthetic but still be wearable to class.

7. Don't forget accessories

This is pretty self explanatory, but you can make a basic look ten times edgier by layering silver necklaces, stacking a bunch of rings and adding a studded belt. I've been wearing this one I got originally from Dolls Kill for about $10 pretty much every day.

8. Experiment and make it your own

I dress this way because it makes me feel comfortable and confident. I love that I can showcase my personality to others without words. So with that being said, experiment and make it your own! Saw some cool clown inspired makeup on your favorite underground artist's Instagram? Practice it on yourself! Dreaming of a specific clothing item that isn't usually sold in stores? Get out your mom's sewing machine, head to your local Joann's and make it yourself! Social media is your best friend. Make Pinterest boards and save Instagram posts of outfits you like and draw inspiration from them. Have fun with your style because it's yours, and no one can take that away from you!