Social Teaching

Social Teaching

"Actions speak louder than words. Let your words teach and your actions speak." -St. Anthony of Padua

28
Social Teaching

The world is filled with so much confusion and chaos that it's hard to make sense of it all at times. This is something that I have been struggling with for some time. How can I live in this world that seems all upside-down? What can I do to fix this? In my searching for a guide, I found Catholic Social Teaching. This serves as a very loose roadmap for how we as Christians should live this call to holiness in a world that is so broken.

There are seven themes that are at the heart of social teaching that serves as the foundation for how we look at the world around us.

1. Life and Dignity of the Human Person

Human life is sacred as we are made in the image and likeness of God. As well as being given dominion over all creation by the Lord. This belief is at the core of all social teaching.

2. Call to Family, Community, and Participation

We are not only sacred but communal, so how society is structured affects how we live. We are called to live out lives that seek the Common Good.

3. Rights and Responsibilities

We have a responsibility to one another and to our communities to help ensure that all people have the same rights.

4. Option for the Poor and Vulnerable

How are our most vulnerable fairing? How do we help them?

5. The Dignity of Work and the Rights of Workers

The economy must serve the workers not the other way around. So often we are consumed by careers and amassing wealth that we become slaves to this structure. "Work is more than a way to make a living; it is a form of continuing participation in God's creation. If the dignity of work is to be protected, then the basic rights of workers must be respected--the right to productive work, to decent and fair wages, to the organization and joining of unions, to private property, and to economic initiative." USCCB

6. Solidarity

All of mankind is God's children so we must work together to ensure that all are treated with the dignity that we deserve

7. Care for God's Creation

God gave Adam, the principal human, dominion over all of creation which has been passed down to us. This tasks us with care for God's creation.