Social Media Stalking Is Real

Social Media Stalking Is Real And Thriving

We're all victims and creators of stalking in the most subliminal way.

193

Just about every person you see in today's society has their cell phone glued to them. While many people feel that this is a bad thing, we will all still continue to do it. Having our phones with us provides us with instant messaging, calling, face timing, searching the internet, playing games, watching Netflix, and so much more. Social media apps such as Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat have primarily taken over in the youth. Despite the entertainment these apps bring us, they still have their downfalls. These apps make it easy for people to know your every move if they want to, and we willingly allow it.

media3.giphy.com

One of the biggest issues with social media is that it allows people to know almost too much information about us. Snapchat, for starters, has a feature where you can allow your friends to see your location and at what time you were last on the app. Though this feature is optional, there are other ways people can invade your privacy. Snapchat adds points to your score each time that you open a Snapchat, or someone opens yours. By viewing someone's score you can tell how actively they have been Snapchating. While doing this seems like a stretch and a little crazy, many people still do it, especially when they think they are being ignored.

media2.giphy.com

Instagram is one of the most popular apps globally, with users checking it multiple times a day. It can be fun to show off your pictures and to look at what other people are up to, but it can also become a way for people to invade your privacy. By swiping left on the home page, you are able to see the posts that the people you follow like and how long ago they liked the images. You can also see how long ago each person you have DMed was active on the app. This feature is another that seems crazy for people to actually check, but believe it or not, many people do.

media3.giphy.com

Find My Friends is an app installed on all iPhones by Apple. In order to use the app, however, you must activate your account. Through doing this, you are able to track anyone who accepts your request and allow them to also track you. This app can be especially frustrating for teens whose parents want to know their every move. Though it could be helpful in certain situations, it is a huge invasion of privacy.

media3.giphy.com

The majority of people who do the things mentioned in this article are probably people who feel like they are being ignored or overprotective parents. Most people in relationships or potential relationships have probably done at least one of these things out of curiosity. Whether we like to admit it or not, these features can be useful when our minds wander, however they only promote toxicity. All the stalker-ish features offered to us within our hands can be convenient, but remember that people are able to see that information about you just as easily.

media1.giphy.com