Social Media Is Ruining Our Romantic Relationships, No Debate

What was once fun and exciting has become a foundation of ruined relationships.

71

We're all guilty of doing it. We aimlessly scroll Instagram and see "the perfect couple" that does everything just right. The man lifts her up when she's down, and she's not capable of doing any wrong by him. They have the perfect house, perfect kids, perfect marriage.

There is no negativity and no secrets between the two of them. The constant bubble of happiness and love is overwhelmingly beautiful, yet sickening at the same time. They have it all, and you want it.

Suddenly, you're angry with your significant other for absolutely no reason.

You want to know why they don't buy you the extravagant gifts you see others getting. You feel insignificant because instead of a birthday weekend in the Caribbean with 20 of your closest friends, you got a low key dinner at home just the two of you.

They want to know why you care so much about someone else's life and can't be happy with the life you do have. They're not wrong, but we're all capable of jealousy and feeling less than cared for at times.

Social Media is a ticking time bomb for relationships that are displayed out for all to see.

Think about those perfect relationships, you never see them say anything negative, right? That's the side of their life they want you to see.

They don't want you to see their morning arguments over whose turn it is to fight the grumpy kids to get ready for school.

They don't want you to see the fight they had about a missed phone call from an ex.

They definitely do not want you to see the cleanup process of a dinner gone wrong.

They put their lives on display only the way it works best for their image to "grow their followers."

Even the seemingly perfect relationships have issues behind closed doors because that's where issues should be. Behind closed doors.

Your significant other may not shower you in gifts the way others do because they're busy showing you affection or taking the time out of their day to let you know how much you mean to them. To someone else, that might be the perfect relationship dynamic.

While you're busy pining over an edited, fictional relationship online, you're missing out on the best parts of the relationship you're in. The more you wish for your significant other to be like someone else, the larger of a wedge it will drive between the two of you. The strongest relationships are the ones kept between the two people involved in them.

If you're following a person on Social Media that is constantly causing tension and jealousy in your personal life, it's time to click that unfollow button and move on.