Social Issues that Shape Society Today

Social Issues that Shape Society Today

They exist, we just don't always acknowledge them.

679
Social Issues that Shape Society Today

I've recently started taking an online sociology class, and I have been reading a lot about social issues. I have seen them in society but never realized all the science behind them and how humans will purposely hurt others. I have started to realize that society shapes social issues and social issues shape society. I had this realization one day while I was doing my homework, and it baffles me how intense this topic truly is. Recognizing social issues and how they impact us and those around us is extremely important.

I believe there are certain areas that we, as a whole, need to work on socially.

1. Homophobia

Homophobia: "Dislike or prejudice against homosexual people." (google)

There will always be those who do not agree with others' way of living. Sometimes people will even be straight forward about it by using homophobic slurs in public to those they don't agree with. I think that learning to live with the fact that you can't change someone else's happiness is a good place to start. Homophobia shapes into hatred that creates a wall of adversity between people.

2.Xenophobia

Xenophobia: "Intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries." (google)

Xenophobia is what drives a wedge between countries. People have a stereotype in their heads about how people from a certain country act. This goes with religion too. People see extremists as the picture of a certain religion when a majority of that religions followers are peaceful. Coexisting with other religions and ethnic groups is extremely important to building a peaceful society.

3. Racism

Racism: "Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior." (google)

We have all seen racism. It is one of the things driving a wedge between America today. Yes, there are other things that contributed to the divide of this country, but racism is a big one. I have never understood how skin color can affect how you treat someone else. Skin is literally paper thin, and underneath we are all the same.

4. Supremacy

Supremacy: "The state or condition of being superior to all others in authority, power, or status." (google)

This goes with racism. It should be obvious that there is a stigma that goes with this. No race or ethnic group is above another. Likewise, there is no reason to act like you are above someone else period. There should be no divide between others based on something they cannot control.

5. Technology

I don't have an exact definition to define this the way I want. In my own words, we rely too much on technology. We use it as our main mode of communication. Don't get me wrong, it can be useful and helpful at times, but we rely on it to hide behind a screen and not talk in person. There are times where talking in person is impossible, and I get that. However, this is not always the case. This new generation has lost all respect for face-to-face connections and interactions.

These are only five things that I can note that have divided society. There are simple ways to fix this. We need to learn that we can live in a world with others who are different with us, and we cannot change that. Learning to accept others the way they are is the first step to peace.