There's Only One Real Reason I Like Winter

Why snow is the only good thing about winter to me.

19

Last winter started a little early. Prior to the last day of finals for the Fall 2017 semester, there came a big snow. Most of the meteorologists were projecting around 2-4 inches.

That forecast well underperformed, as some places in Jacksonville, got over a foot of snow. It was an interesting situation, as we all got to have fun playing on the snow on campus and getting to spend an extra weekend with friends, for the few of us that had finals that were originally scheduled for that Friday moved to the following Monday.

One of the main reasons snow is one of the only things I like about winter is because no matter how old you are, you can always have fun in the snow. One of my favorite things to do in the snow is to sled down the ramp that we have on our back porch, with Roxie following behind. My dachshund Dixie usually loves to play in the snow as well. She usually runs around and around in circles, sometimes chasing Roxie, a boxer/lab mix.

The main reason I like the snow, however, is because of the opportunity to make snow cream. It is a tradition in my family to make snow cream every time it snows. Sometimes, we end up making enough to last us into the summer, and it is a tasty treat to cool off with during the heat of the summer.

The snow also makes many things beautiful in Alabama. The already beautiful Jacksonville State campus was even more beautiful in the snows of last winter. Walking to church the following Sunday, I noticed that the church looked like something out of a Norman Rockwell postcard in the snow. It was truly a sight to behold!

While snow isn't always a given in any winter in Alabama, it is always a fun time when it does snow here.