Snapchat takes away from conversation

your 546-day Snapchat streak's got nothing on my real-life conversations

*Almost* everything about it makes me want to shatter my phone on purpose

49
Photo by Paul Hanaoka on Unsplash

If it were up to me, Snapchat wouldn't exist. I absolutely hate that app, so it makes me cringe that it's one of the main forms of communication this day and age. I honestly think it is so dumb and I despise the fact that it's how I talk to my friends most rather than texting or calling.

When I hear the buzz of my phone and look at it to see that I got a Snapchat from one of my friends, I can feel my eyes rolling. It's just the most pointless form of communication and is a disgrace to the entire category of social media. For some reason, people think that it is easier to respond to a snap rather than a text whereas a text is literally the easiest thing in the world to respond to.

All of my friends think that it's so much fun to send snaps but I just think it's a waste of time. Half the time, it's a blank picture with no words that in no way, shape or form holds a conversation. The other half of the time, it's a mass snap sent to everyone in the sender's contact list to serve as their "streaks" for the day.

Snapchat streaks were the ultimate downfall of the app. People actually have the audacity to get upset when people open their blank snap and don't respond to it for over a day, ruining a 546-day streak. Who needs to hold a conversation about nothing for that long? Not me, that's for sure.

Also, what's with the constant updates that no one likes? If everyone on Twitter is stating their hatred for the new update, why do the Snapchat producers and workers take that to mean "Oh my gosh, people must love the new update, so let's come up with something even more dumb and far out for them to have to deal with!" First it was streaks, then it was making the snap time limit unlimited, then the format, adding groups as a swipe to the left so that people can't sneakily look at what someone messaged them and now it is the dumb order that stories are in so that it's really difficult to find them. The only add-on Snapchat has made that I approve of is the stories feature.

With all that being said, I'm coming up on my 100,000th all-time snap and I've been watching that baby like a hawk so that I don't miss it. Maybe after 100,000 I'll retire, but who knows, maybe that will energize me to keep snapping. Snapchat, I just can't wait to see what you have in store for us next and what horrible thing you come up with for us to suffer through.