Smith Lake, The Lake That Buried A Town

Smith Lake, The Lake That Buried A Town

The Lewis Smith Lake and Dam is one of Alabama's creepiest lakes to go out on, and one of it's most dangerous as well.

21146
smith lake in alabama

In 1957 the Alabama Power Company started construction in Fall's City, which is now known as Smith Lake and dam. Alabama Power created the dam to be 2,200 feet long and 300 feet tall, and its purpose was to generate hydroelectricity, improve water traffic conditions and create recreational opportunities. This 22,100-acre lake is located in North Central Alabama, and its history is quite spooky.

When Alabama Power began to fill the lake they drowned an entire town, the town of Fall's City. Fall's City was very small and in 1953 the post office was abolished, just 100 years after establishment. This area was farmland, owned by the same families for many generations who were bought out by the power company. But there was more than just empty farmland, there were trees, houses, barns and (mostly) empty cars.

The sight for the dam was so massive that they moved 78 bodies from 4 different cemeteries, the rest are still under the water. In December 1961 the lake filled rapidly thanks to weeks of rain and soon the farmland diminished and the town was buried.

Before the Flood

What makes Smith Lake creepy? In some parts the water gets as deep as 264 feet, leaving all of those trees standing tall and unmoved, they have petrified under the water and still have their leaves and branches. There is a local legend of a man going out to buy bread and milk who never returned, in 2007 his car was pulled from the lake and he was persevered inside of it along with his wallet and other personal items. There are several missing persons due to the depth of the lake, the trees at the bottom hide many secrets and divers are often unable to uncover them.

Smith Lake is a very popular spot for water activities such as jet-skiing, boating, tubing and fishing, but its sudden drop-offs in the water make it incredibly dangerous for anyone out on the water. Fatal accidents on this lake lead to bodies missing for days, weeks and close to months because of it's depth.

There is a lot about Smith Lake that has not been uncovered, and maybe it never will be, for this job seems too dangerous for even the pros to handle.