What Going To A Small, Private High School Has Taught Me About Myself

I promise this has nothing to do with plaid skirts.

147
Huffington Post

Uniforms, expensive tuition, spoiled kids, and strict teachers. These are probably the first things that cross everyone's mind when they think of a private school. I blame television for this perception because I can only hope this has not been everyone's experience.

Before I attended the private school I am now about to graduate from, I mentally prepared for the TV-style school with plenty of kids who just didn't care. Looking back, I can honestly say that my expectation of what private school would be like was not unlike that of Dan Humphrey's in Gossip Girl. However, from the first day I spent at my school, I knew that my expectations were far from reality.

My classmates were not snooty at all. In fact, they recognized their tangible blessings and were grateful for them. They respected the work in front of them and took advantage of the opportunities offered - completely contrary to my belief. The attitudes of my classmates were unexpected, but the lessons I learned about myself were unanticipated. I did not believe it would be possible to learn so many things about myself in what felt like a fishbowl of people. Here are a few things I have learned over the years:

1. I suck at soccer.

You know that phrase, "if you never try, you will never know"? I've tried, and I know. I played one year of soccer and absolutely despised it. There were many days when I stumbled on my giant feet while trying to run away from the soccer ball (that's how you play, right?), or managed to take the ball straight to my gut. I treasured my teammates, but every second of practice felt like a waste of time because I was not getting any better at the sport. The significance of this is that I learned my limitations through the crazy opportunities my private school offered. I got to try something without the pressure of actually being a phenomenal athlete.

2. We can still be friends if you hate something I grew up loving.

I came to my school with a different background from most of my peers, so there were (and still are!) times when we do not exactly see eye-to-eye. Choices are limited, so I do not have the option of placing myself around people with similar views, but I would not want to have it any other way. When I first attended private school, my interests included Star Wars and Rip-Sticks and my closet was full of baggy jeans and neutral shaded shirts. I was certainly not your average private-middle-school girl. However, adaptation and relation was made possible through the mandatory time I spent with my peers. My new friends didn't have to like Star Wars in order to get closer to me. We learned how to become close despite our differences, and that is truly phenomenal.

3. Susie and I aren't friends, but we can still be lab partners.

(PSA: Susie is not actually a person). There are so many different people in the world, and it is challenging to get along with every single one of them. In fact, it is impossible. Because private schools are so small, you are required to learn how to cooperate with everyone, whether you naturally get along or not. This has taught me to relate to the people I thought un-relatable; we don't exactly hold hands and sing "Kumbaya", but we don't cast shady glances upon each other either.

4. It's cool if you know my deepest, darkest secret.

Because my high school is so small, I could probably list every person that attends, along with how many siblings they have, what grade they are in, and what foreign language they take. I know this sounds creepy, but when there are only 250 students on such a small campus it is hard not to notice these things. I can honestly say that a lot of people know my life story. They can tell anyone my biggest mistake, or my greatest accomplishment. I have had to learn to be very comfortable with myself because everyone around me knows of my darkest times.

I'm certainly not saying that it requires a private high school to learn these lessons. I'm absolutely not bashing public schools. My purpose in presenting this is to express gratitude to the high school students that taught me these things merely by learning them themselves.