Accidentally Slicing Your Thumb With A Large Knife Can Actually Be A Blessing In Disguise

I actually do really enjoy my thumbs.

40

In case you didn't know, honey crisp apples are in season. Honestly, it might be all apples, but honey crisp really has a really good thing going on. However, the other night I was cutting one of these beautiful fruits with a knife because I am a college student and you know I don't have one of those fancy apple slicers that look like a spider's web.

Regardless, as I took the knife, that was borderline a machete, and glided it through the apple it decided to continue gliding on through into my thumb. I will spare you the gory details but it looked like a "Dateline" episode was being taped right in our very kitchen. The next night, I burned my index and middle finger on the same hand while trying to cook pasta. I really could have sworn I was good at cooking, but with three fingers in commission, I'm starting to not be so sure.

Over the past few days, I have started to notice a few significant differences in my life without being able to use my right hand as much, and no, I'm not just talking about my roommates controlling my usage of kitchenware and appliances but something a little more meaningful. Anyone in this generation knows that if you text with any other fingers than your thumbs than you are probably wasting time.

This week I have noticed a significant drop in my texting and scrolling through social media because of my inability to feel like I am correctly utilizing my phone. I am tending more to call, which is more personalized, someone than attempting to text. Also, I find that when I am walking between classes or events I am not checking my phone (because I know it would be a struggle) but rather taking in what is around me like the beauty of fall on my campus, or a smile or acknowledgment I might not have gotten from someone if I had my nose in my phone, or just being with my thoughts and away from negativity that can be found within a click or a scroll.

I urge you to try this with me. No, I don't think you need to (or should) slice or burn your fingers to achieve this type of serenity. All you need to do is just put your phone in the other room, or put in your bag when you walk between classes, or even just turn it off for a few hours. There's a great big world out there! Now go explore it!