Slang Terms For Parents To Know

Slang Terms For Parents To Know

Not understanding your children's daily vocabulary? I'm here to educate you as to what they might be referring to!

168
Slang Terms For Parents To Know

Being a parent is hard. Changing diapers, paying for education, and trying to adapt to the new words that the young generations are using. Not sure what your kids mean? Keep reading!

"Tea"

When someone has "tea to spill" it means they have hot gossip to talk about. People also say "OMG. Tea." which usually means whatever you just said could bring gossip into the situation.

Examples:

Mandy, I have to tell you the tea about the people next door.

or

Friend 1: Did you see Sue was hanging out with another new guy last night?

Friend 2: I mean she seems to be keeping her options open.

Friend 1: OMG. Tea.

"Full Send"

Full send is an extreme sports term, that just meant to give 100% commitment to something even if you failed at it. Full send has now escalated into when young people talk about a football game, or perhaps when you want to tell a boy how you feel about him. Why say "just go for it" when you can full send it??

Example:

Friend 1: I've been texting Aaron a lot recently, and I think I really like him. Should I tell him?

Friend 2: Might as well! Full send how you feel.

Friend 1: You're so right. It's 2019. Full send.

""Period"

End of discussion. Point blank. PERIOD! This usually includes a hand movement of some sort, whether it's what is shown in the GIF, a finger pointed, or sometimes an occasional clap of your hands. Period can be used interchangeably with "end of discussion" but this has a sassier twang to it, that makes it more effective.

Example:

Friend 1: You don't need a boy to fall back on, you're a strong independent woman and that's on period!

"Shoot Your Shot"

This GIF is pretty self explanatory. Shooting your shot is when you take your chance and message someone you think is cute (and worthy of your time). This can be done over many social media outlets Direct Message option, Snapchat, or even over a text message if you're lucky enough to have their number. Shooting your shot can also be referred to as "sliding in the DM" which means the same thing - to take your chance on someone!

Example:

Friend 1: This girl that just followed me is really cute.

Friend 2: Dang, bro.

Friend 1: Should I try to talk to her?

Friend 2: I mean yeah man, shoot your shot.

"Beat"

When you decide to go out for a night on the town with your friends and you want to impress all the strangers you pass, you will want to go for a full beat makeup look. In short, this is pounding all your makeup on to your face with the makeup tool known as a beauty blender to blend foundation and concealer into your skin.

Example:

For my senior prom, I really want to go with a full glam beat rather than simple makeup.

"Gucci"

No, I am not saying your kids want real Gucci brand products. Gucci means good in today's world too!

Example:

Friend 1: Sorry I yelled at you yesterday.

Friend 2: It's gucci.

"Sus"

Literally an abbreviation for the word suspicious.

Example:

Friend 1: Do you want to go to this house party with me?

Friend 2: No, I'm okay. That house looks pretty sus.

"Flex"

Modern day use of "flex" is kinda like the GIF above. When you flex on someone, it's your way of one upping them. Per a Twitter trend a while back, "weird flexes" are also common, which is when you try one upping someone but you use a weird example in order to do so.

Examples:

Friend 1: What phone do you have?

Friend 2: iPhone 8. What about you?

Friend 1: The brand new iPhone 11, it just came out.

Friend 2: Geez, flex on me then.

or

Friend 1: If I was going to marry your dad, I'd be your stepmom!

Friend 2: Weird flex, but okay.

"Stan"

Pretty simple. A fan of a celebrity of any sort. There are "stan accounts" on social media sites, where people post updates on that particular celebrity the account is made for.

Example:

I will be a One Direction stan until the day I die.

"Bro" and "Sis"

Dear parents, the terms bro/brother/bruh and sis/sister/sissy are now universal terms used for whatever gender you identify as. I call many girls brother and refer to lots of people as sis. It's a word that means no harm, but just an easy conversation transition and a fun way to familiarize yourself with people.

Examples:

SIS! You will never guess what happened today at school.

or

Friend 1: I got accepted into my top choice college!

Friend 2: YEE HAW BROTHERS!!!!

Society is always adapting to the changing times we live in. So, I hope this article helps you understand your children and all young people related to you as the holidays are approaching and you have to listen to all their tea ;)